Mountaineering Bathroom Logistics in High Wind Sub Zero - #2

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Acumen

Mountaineering Bathroom Logistics in High Wind Sub Zero - #2

by Acumen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:07 pm

Pee bottles, they make sense, not hard to figure out (for males at least). But what happens what it's time for #2 in extreme conditions?

I know big mountains will sometimes make use of "blue bags" or "clean cans". But these places also have sheltered areas and buckets or whatever to hold the bag open for you no? What about areas with no regulations or shelter? What about -30F or less with 100MPH or more so wind chills that are insane. I can't imagine you are supposed to do anything in the tent you sleep or cook in, even in extreme conditions. What if you are on exposed rock or ice? 2+ foot snow?

Just go off trail/out of camp a bit and go as fast as possible?

Buz Groshong

Re: Mountaineering Bathroom Logistics in High Wind Sub Zero

by Buz Groshong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:16 pm

You could also come back after it has had time to freeze and put it in a bag, etc. or dig a cat-hole with your Ice axe before depositing it.

adventurer

by adventurer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Acumen wrote:

"I can't imagine you are supposed to do anything in a tent you sleep or cook in, even in extreme conditions"

Take it from one who has been there, when you have to go, you just have to go! Actually, it's pretty easy to squat and deposit your business accurately on a plastic bag laying on the tent floor.

In extreme cold accompanied by high winds, it is not safe to leave your tent unless there is some kind of sheltered area in the immediate vicinity.

Welcome to the sometimes not so clean world of high altitude mountaineering.

P.S. BTW, one more point. I assume you understand that under no circumstances should you attempt to stand up on an ice slope in anything near 100mph wind. If you do, you'll likely be blown off the slope. Have fun & be safe!
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 am

I didn't crap for week because I couldn't bring myself to drop my drawers when it was windy and -30 degrees. When I did, I dug a snow cave to get out of the weather. A dung tomb. How did it go for me?

Let's just say that no woman can tell me that I don't know the pain of child birth.....

Here is where I dug my little tomb, just under the edge of th ice:

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:42 am

You could have "moon zips" installed in the seat of all of your layers. :)

no avatar
Acumen

by Acumen » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Interesting stuff here. Scary stuff here.

I like the idea of freezing it and coming back for it, seems like a quick and effective method. I will definitely have some 'blue bags' with neutralizing powder in case we get tent bound. Moon zips would be interesting, to me it seems like they may take longer to mess with then more standard methods, but I know like a down suit will have them.

Sierra Ledge Rat, that photo is amazing. What location and route is that? Were you able to just hold it in or were you taking anything to help? Would you recommend the hold it for as long as possible method?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:18 pm

I guess that's one good thing about sleeping in a snow cave. On one trip, we had a fellow who had to go really badly, so he went into the entrance tunnel, dug a very deep hole, pooped, and put the paper on the side to be burned the next day. But you may not find many people bothering to dig snow caves on big mountains nowadays (probably for fear of digging up frozen poop). Caves take a long time, get your clothes wet, are inconvenient in flattish terrains, and can provide traps for other people to fall into.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Acumen wrote:Sierra Ledge Rat, that photo is amazing. What location and route is that?

15,000 feet on Denali

Acumen wrote:Were you able to just hold it in or were you taking anything to help?

No, just unwilling to bear my ass when it was that cold.

Acumen wrote:Would you recommend the hold it for as long as possible method?

Absolutely not. 15,000 feet on some peak is no place to perform digital disimpaction on yourself.

Here ya go:
http://www.enotes.com/fecal-impaction-removal-reference/fecal-impaction-removal

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:02 am

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Absolutely not. 15,000 feet on some peak is no place to perform digital disimpaction on yourself.

Digital, or anal-log-jam?

pvnisher

by pvnisher » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:11 am

In "Straight Up", they talk about Harlin and one or two other guys being stuck in a snow cave for a week or so pretty high up the Eiger Nordwand. They tried to drop it out the door or through a hole in the floor, but sometimes the wind would blow it back up or they'd miss or whatever. I don't remember the exact quote, but something about being in a literal poo-storm came to mind.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Steve1215 wrote:

... don't get all fixated on feces ....

+1 !

Steve, you're one of the FEW people who understands the power of humor on this site :!:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
Acumen

by Acumen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Thank you everyone. Thread has been great, I think my conclusion is that blue bags are now coming along on all my winter trips with low temps or alpine conditions. I am trying out some biffy branded ones which I have heard good things about.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 pm

What I really hate, is barfing and crapping at the same time in horrible conditions. Double squirts. Go up too fast, not even get the bivy set up and all hell breaks loose.

Return to General