SP new changes (done)

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Marcsoltan

Re: SP new changes (done)

by Marcsoltan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Bruno wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:I am tired of looking at the same old photos on my profile page. I know this is due to the score of the images.

In order to help you having other pictures appearing on your profile page, I have just downvoted all 27 images currently appearing on you profile. If a few other altruistic members can do the same, that would definitively lower their score and solve your problem. (just kidding)

Thank you for your kindness, but that still doesn't give me the option to choose my own.

lcarreau

Re: SP changes

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Sarah Simon wrote:
lcarreau wrote:
The Chief wrote:I guess the Golden Rule of "KISS" no longer pertains here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohB922c2uQ[/youtube]

Well, Larry the SP Forums Muse, at least if that video is from the 96-97 Reunion Tour, we're listening to the One and Only Ace Frehley play guitar and not that Tommy Thayer guy. :lol:

Ain't nuthin' like the Ace, Sarah ... :wink:

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:27 pm

To make it more dynamic it would be neat to show your most recent photos on the profile. And of course keeping the highest rated link just to show those too.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Marcsoltan if you remove some of your photos from your profile page... perhaps I will add them to mine. I don't have any from Utah in my mix and they are nice photos!

Bruno

by Bruno » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:02 am

Marcsoltan wrote:
Bruno wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:I am tired of looking at the same old photos on my profile page. I know this is due to the score of the images.

In order to help you having other pictures appearing on your profile page, I have just downvoted all 27 images currently appearing on you profile. If a few other altruistic members can do the same, that would definitively lower their score and solve your problem. (just kidding)

Thank you for your kindness, but that still doesn't give me the option to choose my own.

You're certainly right. Another option is to create an album with the selection of pictures you want to look at. An album is far superior to the profile page as the pictures are larger and do offer better viewing comfort.

More seriously, I would prefer to have these 27 pictures not appearing on anybody's profile page (including mine), but instead to have their area/mountain/route pages appearing with more detail (e.g. with indication of country, altitude, route difficulty, or why not with a picture) or at least to have these pages appearing above the current selection of pictures. The current structure of the profile page is just an invitation for the lazy to lurk at pictures instead of going down and looking at more relevant pages. It is exactly the same for the "what's new page".

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 am

Bruno wrote:More seriously, I would prefer to have these 27 pictures not appearing on anybody's profile page (including mine), but instead to have their area/mountain/route pages appearing with more detail (e.g. with indication of country, altitude, route difficulty, or why not with a picture) or at least to have these pages appearing above the current selection of pictures. The current structure of the profile page is just an invitation for the lazy to lurk at pictures instead of going down and looking at more relevant pages. It is exactly the same for the "what's new page".

I think this is an intriguing idea. Perhaps folks can choose an extended profile that included an image with each object. This could retract and expand similar to the comments section. I also think that being able to choose the most recent images to be displayed rather than the highest score is a good idea. Or perhaps, have a mix with the top row showing the highest score and the lower rows cycling the most recent.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:48 am

Reminds me of my website. Here's an example of a profile with tabs to display different sections: www.alpineascent.com/profile/userprofile/Josh

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 am

I like Bruno's idea.

I do like the existing photos on the profile too though, as it shows a bit of the personality and area for which a member is from when looking at others profiles.

But some enhancements can be made. It gets stale for you own page. Tons of possibilities too.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:20 pm

One more small suggestion. Is there a way to have the entries in Plans and Partners automatically delete after the date has passed? For example, there are still many entries in there from people looking to climb xx mountain on July 2008 (or whatever).

Plans and Partners was a great idea, but it seems that not too many are using it, so maybe it wouldn't be worth the trouble (?).

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:25 pm

I think Plans and Partners should be deleted, and a design developed to have it within the forums. With the right configuration I think it could get more attention, including a link to it on profile pages.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Matt Lemke

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm

We actually were going to can Plans and Partners and encourage use of the forums instead, but that seems to have been forgotten. I had actually started creating forum categories for it but then held off until Plans and Partners went away.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:35 pm

One more thing I just thought of.

Matt, I assume that you've seen the thread about missing countries?

Also, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, it would help in the search to be able to search by territory or overseas country too. For example, if I was going to Sint Maartin, Puerto Rico, French Polynesia, or Guadaloupe soon, it would be nice to have an easy way to search for mountains in those places. If you needed a list of territories/overseas countries, I could certainly help out.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
chugach mtn boy

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 pm

I have absolutely no objection to people posting their plans in the forum, but for me the Plans & Partners section has worked out fine in the past.

Both in 2011 in Peru and in 2012 in the Alps I've teamed up with people from SP thanks to this, so I'm very much in favor of keeping it!

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Once the new SP design is in, I'll be able to dump a lot of the code in my style sheet. Personally I think everyone has the right to have their own style on a page as long as it provides good beta. :wink: After the upgrade coming soon my pages should look a bit more on par with the current SP layout.

Please don't take away my customized logo, it looks awesome! :D
Plus Matt Lemke would have to re-stylize his pages too! (I got him into the style sheet business) 8)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:51 pm

Josh I will be more impressed if you can take the ads off your profile page.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback