Boot questions for Kilimanjaro

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Vegasclimber

Boot questions for Kilimanjaro

by Vegasclimber » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi all. New user, first post etc etc. Posting here because I think I may get some better advice then on my normal climbing hangouts.

My fiancee and I are going to attempt Kilimanjaro towards the end of September, and I need to start thinking about picking up a decent pair of boots for the climb. I am down to three choices, and would like some input on them, especially from those that have been there already. These boots are an investment for me, not only for Kibo but also for future trips into the Sierra and other alpine areas.

I am also interested in hearing people's advice about sizing. On all of these boots, I can "toe-tap" and not feel the toe of the boot, but I don't know how much feet swell at serious altitude. I have sized the ones I have tried on so far by waiting until the end of the day, and then wearing my thickest socks and a liner. All three of these feel comfortable, with no hot spots or sloppiness. I won't be above 10-12k in most instances, and I would rather not have to wear double socks all the time.
Thanks in advance!

1. - La Sportiva Trango S
My concerns: May be a bit narrow, and I have heard that the race car red fades to pink quickly. While looks don't have a LOT to do with my purchase, I would really rather not wear pink boots. Also, pricy.

2. - Asolo Fugitive
My concerns: Waterproofing seems to be an issue for some people. In a wide, I find these to be quite comfortable. Also curious about the performance of these in wet conditions with this type of rubber.

2. - Salomon Quest 4D
My concerns: My main concern with this boot is that it appears to have a very flared out toe box. In my experience, that leads to your foot slopping around on the downhill, which is something I can't really afford with weak ankles. While it feels fine new, I think that may change quickly once you're on the trail with them.

Tonka

Re: Boot questions for Kilimanjaro

by Tonka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:07 pm

I think all those choices are overkill. You're just not walking that much or carrying any load to wear a heavy boot. A light Gortex boot for the potential rain and to layer up in for the one cold you have to deal with, summit night. I used Merrell Gortex Lite Hikers, boot hight.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Vegasclimber

Vegasclimber

by Vegasclimber » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 pm

Thanks, Tonka. As I said, this isn't just for that particular trek. When I am in the back country, my standard 4 day load out is about 35lbs, so I am trying to take that into account as well. From what I understand, for the most part on Kili you just carry a light day pack with the essentials. We are planning the go via the Rongai route, which I think is a bit more rugged.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 pm

I agree with Tonka. For Kilimanjaro itself, I would not buy any special boots. You walk a very short distance each day... slowly. Any pair of sturdy hiking boots would do. You wouldn't even need boots but for the sand and scree on summit day.

When you arrive you'll notice that most of the porters are doing the same trip with regular ratty tennis shoes, some several sizes off that don't even fit their feet (some of this is due to lack of funds for better gear, and a lot of this is to create the appearance in front of clients of the lack of funds)

Also... the safari will be more memorable than the climb!

Vegasclimber

by Vegasclimber » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:21 am

Thanks Chad! I read about that porter "technique" as well as several others to watch out for. Wiley folks they are!

Right now we are considering going with Peak Planet - I don't have the money or the need for one of those 5k+ "plush" outfitters. I just want safe water and food, and a company that treats their porters tolerably well.

We really want to do at least a 2 day safari, but we won't be making that decision until March - need to see if we will be able to afford the extra cost. I hope so, especially as I have no plans of ever visiting Africa again. To many other places in Europe that I want to go, that are far safer.

I saw some of your pics of your trip on other Kili threads. Good stuff! We are very excited about this adventure.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 am

Wise not to dump extra money on the climb. Many clients end up with the same experience and maybe even the same crew but might pay three times as much... Or even more!

We went with Zara. Not familiar with other operators, but I wouldn't spend any more than them. It was a fairly good experience.

Look at a camping safari. They are fairly low cost. And if you have the time try for 4-5 days. That'd would increase your viewing time significantly and get you further out into the Serengeti, and is well worth it if you might not be going back.

Tonka

by Tonka » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:14 am

I don't mean to change the topic, but you can't really not check out the Serengeti while there. Period!

Vegasclimber

by Vegasclimber » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 am

Tonka, all ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Right now, I am planning on the 6 day Rongai camp route, followed by a three day safari that includes the crater (I can never spell it right) and two other parks. We may have to drop that to two days but I really want to see the crater.

Not sure what Zara charges, but Peak is 2100 for the climb and another 1000 for the safari. Will probably buy a toilet and extra porter but that's small change stuff.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:25 am

That seems a bit high for a three day safari but maybe prices have changed since I went. Mine was definitely less. $5000-6000 total for two people 8 days on kili and 5 day safari, but again that was six years ago.

no avatar
Wastral

by Wastral » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:20 am

Vegasclimber wrote:
1. - La Sportiva Trango S
My concerns: May be a bit narrow, and I have heard that the race car red fades to pink quickly. While looks don't have a LOT to do with my purchase, I would really rather not wear pink boots. Also, pricy.

2. - Asolo Fugitive
My concerns: Waterproofing seems to be an issue for some people. In a wide, I find these to be quite comfortable. Also curious about the performance of these in wet conditions with this type of rubber.

2. - Salomon Quest 4D
My concerns: My main concern with this boot is that it appears to have a very flared out toe box. In my experience, that leads to your foot slopping around on the downhill, which is something I can't really afford with weak ankles. While it feels fine new, I think that may change quickly once you're on the trail with them.

0) Whatever boot fits you works. It better not pinch in any way matter or form in the store as its a guarantee they will be HELL after 8 miles and dropping 4000 feet. Kilamajaro is a hike, its not even a climb, so honestly, tennis shoes are just fine if you know what you are doing. Only real reason you want a boot is due to all the endless scree.
1) Is for a narrow low volume foot.
2) Asolo tends to be a narrow foot, but higher volume(thicker foot)
3) Solomon tend to be a bit wider

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 am

I wore the fugitive all the wat to 20,000' on Aconcagua in 2011. Love that boot! (Spantiks on summit day)

AlexandraTanbai

by AlexandraTanbai » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:25 pm

I'm a bit late to this party but would like to share my experience for those still organizing their hike:

While there are some standard guidelines to be followed, the model that works for you DEPENDS ON THE SHAPE OF YOUR FEET. Thus, while other gear can safely be bought online, for boots I would highly recommend that you GET EXPERT ADVICE in a good outdoors store in your area. No matter how much you research online, expert advice is invaluable to make sure the boot fits you well.

General guidelines:
*) Mid-height to protect your ankles
*) Mid-weight for maximum efficiency
*) Gore-Tex material to keep dry
*) Work with socks and insoles to keep warm during summit night

I've put more details including how you know whether a boot fits you well on my blog: www.kilimanjaro-uncovered.com/hiking-boots/
However, please do yourself a favor and visit a good outdoors store. It will save you a lot of time, hassle and blisters. Hope this helps.

Return to Gear