SPv3 formatting problems

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Josh Lewis

Re: SPv3 formatting problems

by Josh Lewis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:43 pm

@ Gangolf Haub: This is probably due to a change I proposed. :oops: But it's an important one I might add. :) All images changed from 3 DIV's to one! Not only is this less code, but makes certain things work better. Could you provide a link to the page this problem occurs on? (seeing helps me out big time)

@ Bubba: I just looked, seems perfectly fine to me. I inspected the code which everything is working exactly the way it should. The CSS was changed so perhaps you have an old cached version of the style sheet (yesterday is old code now). :P I'm trying to make SP as flawless as possible now rather than waiting until later.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
rgg

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 am

Josh Lewis wrote:@ Gangolf Haub: This is probably due to a change I proposed. :oops: But it's an important one I might add. :) All images changed from 3 DIV's to one! Not only is this less code, but makes certain things work better. Could you provide a link to the page this problem occurs on? (seeing helps me out big time)

Your PM about refreshing the cache did the trick. Whoever runs into this problem - just refresh the cach or press ctrl-F5 to completely refresh the page.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 am

Not appearing as they should... do you mind explaining? I could say "there is a problem with your trip report" but until something is specified, we are in the dark of knowing what the problem consist of. A detective needs evidence to solve a crime. So do I. 8) Links and screen shots are extremely useful. Naming your browser helps too (which you did). And of course a description. You don't need all of those, but the more evidence we have, the quicker we can find out what went wrong. The more you tell us, the more we are inclined in figuring out the problem because that shows interest on your part, and makes our job easier.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 am

Strange! I checked all your pages (except for your trip reports) which they all looked fine and displayed the boxes with text (I also tested with IE9 too). Does it do this on almost any page you look at? Can anyone else confirm this issue? I'm wondering if it's a Safari issue with our code. :? If anyone else is using Safari and it works fine, also let us know!

Brian C

by Brian C » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 pm

I feel that all my pages that I have two photos side by side in a table all now require a slight left-right scrolling. Is there a way I can fix this without resizing my photos?

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm

All images are currently missing their text box and are automatically aligned left. I checked the edit section and they are still set up to align right or center when appropriate but on the main page, they all still align left.

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Not just images without text - on my pages all images are aligned left regardless of what they are intended to be.

Also, none have the text next to them as originally formatted - this results in a bunch of ugly empty white space.

For example see: http://www.summitpost.org/eiger/150228

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:All images are currently missing their text box and are automatically aligned left. I checked the edit section and they are still set up to align right or center when appropriate but on the main page, they all still align left.

Same true of all of my pages. I went to quite a bit of trouble to reformat them when v.3 came out, and although they weren't ideal in some cases, they were ok again. Now they are a mess because almost everything aligns left.

This isn't a problem of me having copied some bad code somewhere that now no longer works. Most of the code that is not working is code SP's own edit tool laid down--simple align instructions for standard size images.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Likewise on Chad's new Whitney-Bolam page, his formatting is broken:

http://www.summitpost.org/whitney-bolam-ridge/834869

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Matt something happened overnight. Lost the borders around photos and the alignment as folks have mentioned.

Need to go back to yesterday's code!

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:All images are currently missing their text box and are automatically aligned left. I checked the edit section and they are still set up to align right or center when appropriate but on the main page, they all still align left.

I had a look at the Thousand Lakes Wilderness and Eiler Butte pages and they look fine to me.

Fred Spicker wrote:Not just images without text - on my pages all images are aligned left regardless of what they are intended to be.

Also, none have the text next to them as originally formatted - this results in a bunch of ugly empty white space.

For example see: http://www.summitpost.org/eiger/150228

The images on the Eiger page look fine from my end. That is, most have the new border, and some are on the right. However, and that doesn't have anything to do with the recent transition to SPv3, it looks like there are also images still displayed in the pre-SPv2 style!

chugach mtn boy wrote:Likewise on Chad's new Whitney-Bolam page, his formatting is broken:

http://www.summitpost.org/whitney-bolam-ridge/834869

Again, the Whitney-Bolam page looks fine on my end.

mrchad9 wrote:Matt something happened overnight. Lost the borders around photos and the alignment as folks have mentioned.

Need to go back to yesterday's code!

In response to all of the above: I had the same when I logged on today, but the solution is easy: clear the cache of your browser (yes, again)! As Josh explained earlier in this thread in response to Bubba, the CSS was changed, and apparently it's been changed again since then. I reckon it's probably not a bad idea to clear the cache frequently over the next days to be sure to have the most recent SummitPost styles.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 pm

rgg wrote:In response to all of the above: I had the same when I logged on today, but the solution is easy: clear the cache of your browser (yes, again)! As Josh explained earlier in this thread in response to Bubba, the CSS was changed, and apparently it's been changed again since then. I reckon it's probably not a bad idea to clear the cache frequently over the next days to be sure to have the most recent SummitPost styles.

A limited cache-clearing (last 4 weeks only) got everything formatting correctly again for me. So thanks! Dumb question, though: for the readership generally (who do not clear their caches), how long till they start seeing the pages in correct format?

Fred Spicker

by Fred Spicker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Cleared my cache and all is OK - thanks

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:49 pm

chugach mtn boy wrote:A limited cache-clearing (last 4 weeks only) got everything formatting correctly again for me. So thanks! Dumb question, though: for the readership generally (who do not clear their caches), how long till they start seeing the pages in correct format?

I don't know for sure, but I presume that everybody should clear the cache at some point to see it properly. SummitPost is not unique, other sites change over time as well and that may require clearing the cache as well. I'm used to doing that regularly; it does no harm.

Since I expect more (probably small) changes in the SummitPost style sheet in the near future, I'll just clear my cache daily.

chugach mtn boy

by chugach mtn boy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Montana Matt wrote:EVERYONE WHO IS SEEING PROBLEMS WITH THE ALIGNMENT OF IMAGES, HIT THE F5 BUTTON ON YOUR KEYBOARD

I suggest running this as a banner on top of the main page for a day or two.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback