Provide a way for users to know when a page has been deleted

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Sarah Simon

Provide a way for users to know when a page has been deleted

by Sarah Simon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

There is currently no way for a user to know when a page corresponding to a summit log they have signed has been deleted.

This doesn't need to be fancy - I don't need an email alert or pop-up notification. Perhaps there is a way to just show the deleted entry "grayed-out" in my "Summit Logs I've Signed" section for instance.

Use Case: Sarah signed a summit log in 2009 for a mountain she really enjoyed. For some reason, in 2013, the page owner just decided to get up and delete the page. Currently, Sarah has no way of knowing this (the deletion) has happened. However, if Sarah had a way of having the deletion brought to her attention, she is likely to dig up her photos and maps, do some research, and rebuild the mountain page, complete with appropriate attachments to area/range and routes.
Go climb a mountain

mrchad9

Re: Provide a way for users to know when the page for a summ

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:57 pm

If rather see a method to stop pages with attachments from being deleted altogether. Force the owner to remove their text and leave it at that. I'll probably add that to user voice later today.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Buz Groshong, Josh Lewis

Kiefer

Re: Provide a way for users to know when a page has been del

by Kiefer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Damn it, Sarah! What are you doing?
You're SUPPOSE to be enjoying yourself, enjoying the 70 degree temps, frolicking barefoot through the pecan orchards, smelling the blooms o' the cacti (carefully!!) and drinking margs!
Get off your laptop and go get a hellacious tan! BTW, could ya pick me up a bottle of Kaluha if you happen to head down Nogales way? I used to go all the time from Tubac. :wink:
I'm jealous.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Kiefer Thomas wrote:Damn it, Sarah! What are you doing?
You're SUPPOSE to be enjoying yourself, enjoying the 70 degree temps, frolicking barefoot through the pecan orchards, smelling the blooms o' the cacti (carefully!!) and drinking margs!
Get off your laptop and go get a hellacious tan! BTW, could ya pick me up a bottle of Kaluha if you happen to head down Nogales way? I used to go all the time from Tubac. :wink:
I'm jealous.

Trust me, between Southern AZ

And Miami | South Beach

I'm enjoying the sun and warm!!! (Frolicking barefoot, even...) :P

But alas, today, boring meetings and working on an expense report have driven me onto SP...during the workday. :?

:( We don't go to Nogales anymore - it's just gotten too scary and dangerous, it's a shame. But I can still arrange for the Kaluha. ;)
Go climb a mountain

Buz Groshong

Re: Provide a way for users to know when the page for a summ

by Buz Groshong » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:44 pm

mrchad9 wrote:If rather see a method to stop pages with attachments from being deleted altogether. Force the owner to remove their text and leave it at that. I'll probably add that to user voice later today.

They can always edit out their content and remove their photos; but it would be great if the rest of the page stayed and it was noted as up for adoption.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Ok. I added the idea to UserVoice.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 pm

mrchad9 wrote:Ok. I added the idea to UserVoice.

You are the MacDaddy! :mrgreen:
Go climb a mountain

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:48 pm

It would be excellent if once a page were created, it could not be deleted by anyone other than staff, while letting the author have all rights to edit or delete text at any time. It simply stinks when logs get deleted and pictures, routes, trip reports, and the like are cast adrift.

I would exempt pictures from this, though. The pictures are people's property, and they should have full rights about deleting them manually if they so wish. Plus, people routinely upload the wrong picture or no picture at all (did that myself this morning-- forgot to select a file when submitting) and need to delete those submissions. Handing that to the elves would create a ton of extra work for them and frustrate the members as well.

People sometimes create test pages they intend to delete, but there aren't that many and it wouldn't be too much to have the staff delete such items at creators' request when they were no longer needed.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:59 pm

Then vote on it Bob!

And agreed we aren't talking about deleting photos. We are talking about mountain, area, canyon, and route pages.

Buz Groshong

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 am

Personally I would rather the system be created to lock a page from being deleted once someone signs the climber log. If the method above was created, custom objects could not be deleted. And if they could... that means it could easily be tampered with by swapping the object type from mountain to custom object.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:06 am

mrchad9 wrote:Then vote on it Bob!

And agreed we aren't talking about deleting photos. We are talking about mountain, area, canyon, and route pages.

No, make it all non-image pages. Otherwise, a person determined to delete a page could change the page type.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:09 am

Josh Lewis wrote:Personally I would rather the system be created to lock a page from being deleted once someone signs the climber log. If the method above was created, custom objects could not be deleted. And if they could... that means it could easily be tampered with by swapping the object type from mountain to custom object.

I have pages that have no log entries (I don't always sign the logs of my own pages, figuring the relevant information is already on the page). They may never get any because they are obscure peaks. But if I can delete them just because they have no log entries, that does block a future user from using the page and signing the log.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:19 am

If that's the case, you have every right to delete your own page. No one will lose any climber logs (the big issue surrounding this thread). Unless folks attach content to the page... but why would they skip out on signing the climber log? If this system is put in place, this will mean that trip reports can only be deleted by admins rather than the content owner. Personally I feel that makes the author a little less in control of property that they actually own. But I suppose they could just swipe the content of the TR and requests it's removal.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:38 am

Josh this wouldn't apply to TRs by default because usually no one else has photos attached to your trip report, and it has no summit log.

This effectively only applies to mountains, areas, canyons, and routes. If something needs to be coded so it doesn't apply to other objects then I'm sure that could be discussed as an option.

I see no harm in someone deleting a page if no one signed it, as Bob points out. Of course the loss of content is unfortunate, but it makes no sense to have an empty page for a peak with nothing attached to it.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:07 am

Again as Bob and I pointed out that if the user really wanted, they could change the page type to a trip report. As a result they could then delete the page unless a safe guard was created like signing climber logs to prevent pages from going poof. I already thought about the idea of attached objects, but the owner can already detach those which makes the attachment argument less secure.

Next

Return to Site Feedback