Help! Need to identify Colorado artist!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bubba Suess

Help! Need to identify Colorado artist!

by Bubba Suess » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 am

I recently found a painting of Mount Shasta a few days ago that is quite old. I have been doing a lot of investigation on it and it looks like it is possible that the painting is the earliest known painting of the mountain from a perspective that is on the mountain, rather than from below or from a distant view point. This is according to the author of Sudden and Solitary, the definitive book on Mount Shasta art. The back has a label identifying the artist:

I googled the name and only a couple of hits brought up a name that would have the necessary antiquity to it, though I do not know for certain that it is the same artist that painted the painting. So, has anyone in Colorado ever heard of E.S. Evans? When was he active? Are there any collections of his work? Any help would be much, much appreciated!

Here is the painting, which, at first, looks nothing like Mount Shasta:

Here is the same perspective on the mountain:

It is not a realistic likeness but the key elements are all present. I would really like to date this work. Thanks for the help!

nartreb

Re: Help! Need to identify Colorado artist!

by nartreb » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:30 pm

I bet the phrase "post cards, kodak pictures, or photographs" only made sense for a couple of decades. Hard to Google directly (too much modern unrelated stuff using the same words), but see if you can find a history/historian of photography.

I read a bit about dating postcards when I found a copy of this one online. Kodak introduced "real photo postcards" in 1906, for whatever that's worth. See http://www.co.seneca.ny.us/history/post ... istory.pdf

Return to Colorado