Africa's highest peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Africa's highest peaks

by Scott » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm

I have created a list of the 4000 meter peaks in Africa, but may need some help with verification since I don't have maps of all these places and used other sources (which I'm also working on correcting and verifying):

http://www.summitpost.org/africa-s-4000 ... aks/828720

For example, certainly someone has a map of the Atlas that can verify the prominence of Akioud? The Atlas is one area of Africa that has good maps, I just don't have any maps of the Atlas.

Also, are any mountains missing from the list? Ethiopia is a tough one.

Thanks for any input/help.

Bruno

Re: Africa's highest peaks

by Bruno » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Scott wrote:I have created a list of the 4000 meter peaks in Africa, but may need some help with verification since I don't have maps of all these places and used other sources (which I'm also working on correcting and verifying):

http://www.summitpost.org/africa-s-4000 ... aks/828720

For example, certainly someone has a map of the Atlas that can verify the prominence of Akioud? The Atlas is one area of Africa that has good maps, I just don't have any maps of the Atlas.

Also, are any mountains missing from the list? Ethiopia is a tough one.

Thanks for any input/help.

Thanks for that nice list. I should be able to upload some pictures of Abuna Yosef and Bwahit, but it might take a bit of time. The altitudes I had on my GPS do pretty well match with the data you are giving (4286m versus 4260m for Abuna Yosef and 4440m versus 4437m for Bwahit).

The following user would like to thank Bruno for this post
Scott

Tijs

by Tijs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:06 am

Definitely one of my favorite lists on SP! Thanks Scott.

Kiendler (pages 398-402) lists 132 peaks above 4000m, 31 of which he considers peaks in their own right (prominence > 400m).

I'm not saying that his numbers are any more reliable than yours, but for what it's worth (he did consult a ton of literature), here is my summary of his list:

I climbed Weismann (2nd peak of Mount Luigi di Savoia, after Sella, with 4619m) on my way to Margherita (Kilembe Trail), and may add a page on it when I find the time.

The following user would like to thank Tijs for this post
Damien Gildea, Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:12 am

Kiendler (pages 398-402) lists 132 peaks above 4000m, 31 of which he considers peaks in their own right (prominence > 400m).

I'm not saying that his numbers are any more reliable than yours, but for what it's worth (he did consult a ton of literature), here is my summary of his list:

Good list. It looks like we're really close.

According to SP member Chugach Mtn Boy, Ouanoukrim/Timesguida was recently measured at 4089 and has prominence of exactly 425m and thus was recently ranked on my list (I originally didn't have it ranked).

http://www.summitpost.org/africa-s-4000 ... ons/828720

Other than some minor elevation differences on the two list, I also have Lesatima and Iferouane/Djbel n'Tarourt; both 4001 meters. Lesatima is on my maps as 4001 meters, but I imagine if it wasn't on Kiendler's list, some maps might show it below that figure? For sure, it has enough prominence and is the highest point for a long distance around.

Iferouane/Djbel n'Tarourt is sometimes listed as slightly over 4000 meters and sometimes listed as slightly below. I opted to include it on the list because if anyone was to try and complete the list, it would be better to be safe than sorry. It is possibly below 4000 meters.

Other than that, our lists are really close.

no avatar
Daisysky

by Daisysky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:42 am

Wow, nice working out. I'm from there but there are a lot of places i have never been to there.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers!

no avatar
johnsimon

by johnsimon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Wow! Great list you have there. Thanks a ton.

Return to Africa