Mt Wash. vs Franconia ridge wind conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
rferron

Mt Wash. vs Franconia ridge wind conditions

by rferron » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 am

Going to Mt Washington tomorrow and since there's a wind chill advisory in effect I was wondering if it would be similar conditions on the Franconia ridge? Does 60MPH wind on Mt Washington means similar wind on the Franconia ridge? Also what are the trail options to get a lot of feets of climbing when Mt Wash. summit is too windy? Any president that is not as exposed?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!

nartreb

Re: Mt Wash. vs Franconia ridge wind conditions

by nartreb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 pm

Mt Washington is about a thousand feet taller, so wind is usually measurably stronger on Mt W than on Franconia Ridge. But F Ridge is *not* the place to hike on windy days!

By the way, 60mph is not very strong for this time of year.

All the northern presis are very exposed to the wind. If you want to limit your exposure, try Crawford Path to Pierce. You'll be in the woods until just below the summit. If you find you can stand it, you can go north above treeline to Eisenhower. If you prefer staying sheltered, you can go south to Jackson.

In Franconia Notch, a good sheltered climb is Mt Liberty via Liberty Spring trail. You can extend the hike to include Mt Flume, but you might not want to descend the Flume Slide trail this time of year.

rferron

Re: Mt Wash. vs Franconia ridge wind conditions

by rferron » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 pm

60MPH Sunday was not bad indeed for mount Wash but when we went 2 months ago we got 105MPH and that was just too much for us. I love the wind but since we go fast and light it sometimes mean that we have to turn back. So having good backup plans is good when you're driving 5 hours to get there. Thanks for all the good recommendations, I will come back to them for my next trip!

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)