Weight loss

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
Fedrin

Weight loss

by Fedrin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 am

At it's most basic, losing weight is about burning more calories than you eat.
Here are some more weight loss tips...
1. stop taking sugar in all form
2. stop eating rice, you can eat but only if they are washed 3-4 time during cooking , wash out all its sugar or starch.
3.stop taking fats or oils in all form, but you can cook food in olive oil.
4.skip dinner most of the time in a week, but take fruits or brown bread with tomato and cucumber

radson

Re: Weight loss

by radson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:28 am

or alternately go climbing in Peru, Bolivia, China, Nepal or any country ending in 'stan and suscribe to the maxim that any calorie is a good calorie :)

no avatar
j4ever

by j4ever » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:31 am

your statement is correct in the beginning,i disagree with the rest,it is mostly about calories in vs calories out,there are many ways to do it,personally i do not beleive in taking out foods,as far as fats i love me some,walnuts,almonds and i cook with coconut oil,i use olive oil more as dressings and do not use to cook, i strongly disagree with skipping meals.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:55 pm

FWIW,
Hammer Nutrition's suggestions:

SEVENTEEN CHARACTERISTICS OF AN EFFECTIVE WEIGHT LOSS PLAN

1. Reduce current refined carbohydrate intake by 50%.

2. Increase raw food vegetable and fruit intake by 25%.

3. Drink a minimum of 10 x 8-ounce glasses of water per day [chose either steam distilled or bottled water that is "chlorine and fluoride free"].

4. Cease eating after 7:00 PM.

5. Reduce or omit meats[excluding salt water cold water fish] and dairy byproducts.

6. Exercise activity is conducted at or below 75% VO2 Max Heart Rate.

7. PERIODIC Short-term weight loss of 2-5 pounds weight loss in 20 consecutive days, followed by seven days NO calorie restriction before repeating a 2nd 20-day protocol.

8. Recommend no more than 1 pound weight loss each week.

9. Do not go below 1,500 calories per day.

10. Refer to the Food Guide Asian or Mediterranean Pyramid and Dietary Guidelines

11. Focus on limiting fat and processed food intake rather than calories.

12. Encourage 30 minutes minimum exercise per day.

13. Include a variety of nutritionally balanced foods.

14. Minimize hunger, no-starve periods.

15. Encourage setting realistic weight loss goals and making slow, moderate changes.

16. Precedes an established lifelong "Lifestyle" protocol, balancing caloric intake with expense.

17. Remove man-made fats [TFA-Trans Fatty Acids-also know as partially or completely hydrogenated vegetable fats]; found in almost all processed baked goods.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/hnt/772/

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:58 pm

Talking all fats from your diet is a great way to screw up your body. My wife did that several years back. The results: She lost a lot of weight, about half her hair, and ended up having to get her gall bladder removed. Both her doctor and the surgeon blamed it on not having enough fat in her diet.

As for removing all sugars from your diet: Good luck. That rules out almost all food including all dairy, all fruits and vegetables, nuts, etc. That includes everything you suggest in rule 4.

bird

by bird » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Catamount wrote:Lots of different programs out there but it all comes down to calories in versus calories out. I've been working on blasting away some extra weight and am down about 12 pounds since November. Currently at 6'0, 198 ... would like to get back into the 180s eventually. Swimming a mile 4X per week and most days I eat just one big meal plus Gatorade before and after my laps. A lot of it is finding what works for you based on your lifestyle.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

Not so fast. All calories are not equal. Read this and you'll skip the gatorade.

Ze

by Ze » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 am

Christ, Taubes is a cherry-picker, has tunnel-vision, and is just wrong. Please don't reference him. The guy can't even mention leptin in his damn book.

Calories in / out matters, however there are a ton of hormonal issues that people have to battle that change with weight loss.

Primary tenants of weight loss:

Good amount of protein intake
Vegetables
Maintain slight or moderate caloric deficit. Most of the deficit should be created by less food, not just more and more exercise.
Vary carbs with amount and intensity of exercise.
Some exercise, but too much will just do more harm than good.

EVentually, ephedrine.

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 am

Or do what I do...burn literally 15 thousand calories on every climb you do and don't worry about what you eat. Just eat whatever you want

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:06 am

omg. you just opened my eyes to what i have to do. never thought of cutting on sugar/oil/calories before. lol

On a serious note, skipping meals is actually counter productive. Less calories and more frequent smaller meals is the way to go, if you really want to lose weight. and having will power helps. personally, it is super hard for me to refuse sweets! And counting all the calories is a chore. I never count calories, just try to eat less if I am cutting.

PS: my experience in losing weight involves losing about 120 lbs, maybe more..

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:39 pm

The OP's entire post is just plain wrong. The only thing marginally correct is calorie deficit. Can different programs cause weight loss? Sure! I can show you 400 different idiotic things that'll shed 10 lbs or so, but is it:

A: Good for your body?

B: Help you maintain maximum fitness?

MOST of the plans out there, including the one by the OP, do more harm than good. Losing weight, in no way/shape/or form, means you are healthy or in shape. I could lose 10lbs by slathering BUTTER over everything I eat for the next month......but I'd probably crash in the 1st mile of an approach hike. I'd be better off having a better diet and being 10lbs heavier. The key is avoiding PROCESSED carbs and sugars. Eat a moderate diet of lean meat, veggies, and fruit/nuts. DO NOT CUT OUT ALL FAT. Fat is critical in maintaining proper body, muscle, and intestinal function. It's really more simple than people want to believe. You still can't sit down and eat a pound of Marchino cherries....moderation is still important. Fill a third of a dinner plate with lean meat, and the rest with fresh fruit and veggies. The fruit provides more than enough carbs for my workout routine, which is prob more brutal than most. Since I cut out processed carbs a month ago, I've seen a 10lb FAT loss offset by 2 lbs of muscle increase....net weight loss of 8lbs. I couldn't care less about the number on the scale, physical function and performance are all that matter so the more muscle you put on in the areas you need it most...the better! Chris Sharma is a prime example.....climbing harder than ever and he's 20lbs heavier than he was 10 yrs ago. For a guy climbing 5.15, holding onto crimpers the size of pimples, most of the idiots out there would have claimed that 20lb increase would have crushed his game. These genius's need to stop focusing on the number on the scale. The TYPE of weight is ALL that matters. The OP's diet would result in more muscle loss than FAT loss....so who cares if you're skinnier if you're in WORSE shape? :)

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:40 pm

WyomingSummits, how do you know you lost 10lbs of fat and gained 2lbs of muscle? I have a difficulty understanding how much fat i lose vs how much muscle i lose/gain. At times my weight varies by 8lbs simply based on how much water I lost during a work out and if i had a BM or not...

Ze

by Ze » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:omg. you just opened my eyes to what i have to do. never thought of cutting on sugar/oil/calories before. lol

On a serious note, skipping meals is actually counter productive. Less calories and more frequent smaller meals is the way to go, if you really want to lose weight. and having will power helps. personally, it is super hard for me to refuse sweets! And counting all the calories is a chore. I never count calories, just try to eat less if I am cutting.

PS: my experience in losing weight involves losing about 120 lbs, maybe more..

skipping meals as a method for caloric restriction is fine, but depends on the person. some people prefer smaller meals, some prefer a few bigger meals then fasting for longer periods. either way, there is no net metabolic benefit. just personal preference

Ze

by Ze » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 am

WyomingSummits wrote:The OP's entire post is just plain wrong. The only thing marginally correct is calorie deficit. Can different programs cause weight loss? Sure! I can show you 400 different idiotic things that'll shed 10 lbs or so, but is it:

A: Good for your body?

B: Help you maintain maximum fitness?

MOST of the plans out there, including the one by the OP, do more harm than good. Losing weight, in no way/shape/or form, means you are healthy or in shape. I could lose 10lbs by slathering BUTTER over everything I eat for the next month......but I'd probably crash in the 1st mile of an approach hike. I'd be better off having a better diet and being 10lbs heavier. The key is avoiding PROCESSED carbs and sugars. Eat a moderate diet of lean meat, veggies, and fruit/nuts. DO NOT CUT OUT ALL FAT. Fat is critical in maintaining proper body, muscle, and intestinal function. It's really more simple than people want to believe. You still can't sit down and eat a pound of Marchino cherries....moderation is still important. Fill a third of a dinner plate with lean meat, and the rest with fresh fruit and veggies. The fruit provides more than enough carbs for my workout routine, which is prob more brutal than most. Since I cut out processed carbs a month ago, I've seen a 10lb FAT loss offset by 2 lbs of muscle increase....net weight loss of 8lbs. I couldn't care less about the number on the scale, physical function and performance are all that matter so the more muscle you put on in the areas you need it most...the better! Chris Sharma is a prime example.....climbing harder than ever and he's 20lbs heavier than he was 10 yrs ago. For a guy climbing 5.15, holding onto crimpers the size of pimples, most of the idiots out there would have claimed that 20lb increase would have crushed his game. These genius's need to stop focusing on the number on the scale. The TYPE of weight is ALL that matters. The OP's diet would result in more muscle loss than FAT loss....so who cares if you're skinnier if you're in WORSE shape? :)

Half of your rant is ok. Half of your rant is entirely wrong.

Sugar = ok in moderation for a sedentary person. Sugar is actually beneficial in some amounts for post-exercise recovery (and is practically optimal as the food to eat during extended endurance exercise). Obviously any food with more nutritients (i.e. not processed) is "better" but that doesn't mean having some processed is bad. Processed carbs are "fine" if the calories are controlled just like any other food, they don't magically store as fat. But usually non-processed are going to control hunger a bit more...

You need a decent amount carbs if you are doing intense cardio, and is more important the more days of the week you are working out. Otherwise, your cardio is simply not as good as it could be. Or its just short.

The OP's diet will only result in muscle mass loss if he doesn't get enough protein (which should be elevated when dieting).

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 am

skipping meals as a method for caloric restriction is fine, but depends on the person. some people prefer smaller meals, some prefer a few bigger meals then fasting for longer periods. either way, there is no net metabolic benefit. just personal preference

Actually it is a proven fact that if you divide 1500calories into 6 meals instead of 2 you will lose more weight. Taking frequent small meals speeds up your metabolism.

Ze

by Ze » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:38 pm

Afraid not.

For instance: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0038632

"RMR and appetite control increased in the LFr diet, which can be relevant for body weight control on the long term."

LFr = Low Meal Frequency

Next

Return to Technique and Training