Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Postby Holsti97 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 am

My wife and I were in Carlsbad, NM last week to visit the Carlsbad Caverns when she told me that she wanted to climb Guadalupe Peak in Texas. ( I had climbed it about 4 years ago.) We climbed it and reached the summit. It was my wife's 32nd state highpoint. It was a beautiful day and we only met about 8 people on the trail. Here are some pictures of our climb:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 81b11c535d
I have done the following state highpoints twice: Vermont, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Texas.
Holsti97

The following user would like to thank Holsti97 for this post
Bark Eater, Catamount

Postby Catamount » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:42 am

Holsti97 wrote:I have done the following state highpoints twice: Vermont, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Texas.

New York - 3
Massachusetts - 3
NH -2
VT - 2
NJ - 2
CT - 2
RI - 2 :roll:

Nice pics, Holsti!
Catamount

Postby highlandvillager » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 am

Florida Frank wrote:Bump. Didn't want this thread to disappear too far down into the forum. It's got such staying power :-) What do some other SHPers have for plans and goals this year?

Pretty light schedule this year: Mauna Kea at the end of April, then Hood in late May / early June. Any other trips will involve more vertical pursuits.
highlandvillager

Postby Bark Eater » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:17 pm

[quote="Florida Frank"]I think my highpoint repeats are Katahdin (14), Marcy (5), Washington (4), High Point NJ (3), Mansfield (2), Mitchell (2), Clingman's Dome (2). Of course that doesn't count the number of times I've driven by the Ebright Azimuth on my way to the Farmer's Market. :-)

Nice to hear about your adventure to Guadalupe. We have plans to go in early November with some old college outing club friends. I'm told Carlsbad is a "must do" so we'll spend a day there as well.
Bark Eater

Postby Jow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:58 pm

sm0421 wrote:awesome Joe!! can't wait for your report! Did you get a post card on Hossier Hill?

No trip report. I actually was in such a rush I forgot to open mailbox and sign summit log was postcard in there?
Couple pics of drive, the field its in, and summit shot
Jow

Postby Catamount » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:14 pm

Hey zodis -

CT and MA will be no issue. Snow should be long gone by then. I am north of Albany and the last of the snow down here in the valley melted off last weekend. For the most part, it was a low snow year in the Northeast but March got cold will several storms including a couple of whoppers in the mountains. Depending on what time of May you head up this way will dictate how much is left. Regardless, it won't be enough to stop you but could slow you down a bit.

For trail condtions updates, your best bet is probably this site:

http://newenglandtrailconditions.com/

Hope you have a great trip!
Catamount

Postby Bark Eater » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Alex, great running into you on the trail yesterday. Good luck with your Hood and Rainier adventures. Catamount is planning on Hood in May as well. Maybe you can climb together?

Please give yourself enough recovery time between Hood and Rainier. Rainier is a serious mountain that demands respect from all of us. You will maximize your probability of success and your safety with at least a couple of days of rest between the two and starting on fresh legs!

I'll look into whether we might rendesvous with Nate for a Kings Peak climb in early August.
Bark Eater

Postby reboyles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Florida Frank wrote:Bump. Didn't want this thread to disappear too far down into the forum. It's got such staying power :-) What do some other SHPers have for plans and goals this year?

I am planning on making my 30th ascent of Mt Borah this summer. I was going to quit after 25 but I kept getting asked by friends to take them up so what the heck? Borah is only 4 hours away from my home and it has always been kind of a test piece as to my fitness level so I'll get to see how it feels at 60 this year.

Bob
reboyles

The following user would like to thank reboyles for this post
sm0421

Postby Catamount » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:12 am

Florida Frank wrote:Alex, great running into you on the trail yesterday. Good luck with your Hood and Rainier adventures. Catamount is planning on Hood in May as well. Maybe you can climb together?

I think Alex is going to be there a little before me. I wish him the best of luck!

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/mt-hood-w-the-timberline-guides-t64243.html
Catamount

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
sm0421

Postby sm0421 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Frank, what a small world! Great to meet your wife as well! I have already arranged all the logistics (to save $ and minimize vacation time) so I will only have 24 hours to recover after Hood, I did sign up with the Timberline Guides so hopefully I'll save some energy.
sm0421

Postby JohnMcPike » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Holsti97 wrote:My wife and I were in Carlsbad, NM last week to visit the Carlsbad Caverns when she told me that she wanted to climb Guadalupe Peak in Texas. ( I had climbed it about 4 years ago.) We climbed it and reached the summit. It was my wife's 32nd state highpoint. It was a beautiful day and we only met about 8 people on the trail. Here are some pictures of our climb:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 81b11c535d
I have done the following state highpoints twice: Vermont, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Texas.

Holsti,
Here's our repeats: VT, NE, KS, AR, OK, TX, IN, FL, PA & AL

We hope to be moving to OH soon so we'll be pretty close to the Campbell soon
JohnMcPike

Postby IagosGhost » Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm looking forward to the Great Lakes highpoints this summer with the family. In August we're hiking Eagle Mtn., Mt. Arvon, and Timms Hill!
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"
IagosGhost

Postby Tonka » Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 pm

I'll be in New York City for a Yankees game Sat. and then in Jersey. We're going to make an attempt at High Point. Any gear advice???
Tonka

PreviousNext

Return to General