Looking for a backpack

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
TimB

Re: Looking for a backpack

by TimB » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 am

ADKMan wrote:Check out Cold Cold World packs

[url]coldcoldworldpacks.com[/url]

They are reasonably priced, bomber materials and hit pretty much everything else on your wish list.

This.
I have the CCW Chernobyl(50l) and I love it. Toughest pack I have ever seen.

no avatar
Strider

by Strider » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:12 am

Strider wrote:
pvnisher wrote:I have and love the Mammut Trion Light. Doesn't do the bivy pad deal or crampon pocket. But I just wrap my crampons in my gaiters. And I don't plan on frequently using the panel as a bivy, if needed can use the rope and rest of pack as a pad/seat.
2.25 lbs in full mode, stripped down to 1.5 lbs (without waterproof liner, lid, or hipbelt).

I also tried on the Mammut Trion Light and loved how it feets and the amount of movement freedom it gives me . the thing is the store only has the 28L version and i dont know how i feel about it:
1. it looks pretty roomy inside but isn't 28L too small for an multy day trip? or maybe they designed the 28L to be an "ultralight summit push only bag" and im missing the point?
2. another thing being a very lightweight bag it's only 100 denier on the upper fabric (the bottom is solid 840D) , isnt it too delicate for mountain use?
3. I dont like the simple loops for ice tool atachments and i really think the clip atachments being much better , am i being silly ?

I also tried the 45L Mammut Guide and though it much bigger and bulkier altough better crampon attachments and more storage options. but i think the weight and fit or the light is just superb.

Opinions please.

P.S
Also tried the Deuter Guide 1900g no thanks...no thanks..

sorry for quoting myself but i would really like somefeedback on this backpack.
with all due respecy to CCW i will never buy a pack i can't try on and walk around the store for a while. i have pretty unusual torso so i really have to try things out.

cagatay

by cagatay » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:14 pm

I highly recommend you to take a look at Deuter Guide 45+
They stipped off every unnecessary detail. It weights only 1.8 kg. I am in love with it :)

later edit: I noticed you mentioned about Deuter. Did you find it heavy? Guide 45 is 1.8 kg and Guide 30 is like 1.2 kg. You need something lighter?

Previous

Return to Gear