Denali Cooking Tent/shelter + GPS route

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
chickentikka

Denali Cooking Tent/shelter + GPS route

by chickentikka » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey Guys,

1) Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on an affordable shelter/tent for cooking and hanging out. I was thinking of actually going with something fairly cheap (Coleman) as my life wouldn't depend on this tent.

We are two people, so do not need anything huge. I refuse to spend more than 200 dollars.

2) Does anyone have decent route for the west buttress on GPS? I know I shouldnt follow it blindly.

Thanks!

swbackcountry

Re: Denali Cooking Tent/shelter + GPS route

by swbackcountry » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:28 am

chickentikka wrote:Hey Guys,

1) Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on an affordable shelter/tent for cooking and hanging out. I was thinking of actually going with something fairly cheap (Coleman) as my life wouldn't depend on this tent.

We are two people, so do not need anything huge. I refuse to spend more than 200 dollars.

Many teams go with floorless options like the BD megamid. Perhaps you could jury rig a megamid style tent (out of a tarp cut into a cone shape, and welded together?). Nice thing with floorless is that messes don't matter as much, and you can build seats in the snow. Perhaps you already have a freestanding tent with a storm shell and a tent body, and you could just take the storm shell with the free-standing frame? I did that one time on Rainier to save weight. Or, maybe your coleman idea would work even with the floor cut out?

Fletch

by Fletch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:59 am

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... light-tent

These work well. If you are serious call these guys below and ask about a custom tent...

http://www.akgear.com/index.htm

Lastly, try Jon Walters at Northwest Design & Manufacturing. He can be reached at 360.714.8513 or northwestdesign@hotmail.com. They make the cook tents for the guide services on Denali. Great tents and I've spent a month of my life in one a couple times a day. Very cool.

chickentikka

by chickentikka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:38 am

Very cool, I was already looking at the BD mega light tent. Floorless is definitely the way to go. I didn't want to put the idea in your heads if there was something better already. But it looks like I we came to the same conclusion.

Return to Canada and Alaska