Baby carrier?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Luciano136

Baby carrier?

by Luciano136 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:26 pm

I'm interested in hearing some suggestions for backpacks to put a baby/small child in. Our daughter is 10 months and I've been taking her on some hikes already but the backpack I have is destroying my shoulders. I need something better; I also want one that has a cover for sun protection. Putting a hat on her is not ideal since she keeps taking it off :)

Thanks!!

Fletch

Re: Baby carrier?

by Fletch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Fletch wrote:http://www.rei.com/product/829590/kelty-pathfinder-30-frame-child-carrier

This is what I use...

Looks good! Up to what age can you use this do you think? It says 50 pounds total. So, I'm guessing your child can be up to 35-40 lbs. if you are just dayhiking.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 pm

My research on the topic was almost 5 years ago, but I doubt much has changed.

I was given Kelty's top of the line carrier (older version of what you see in the REI link). It was pretty good for hiking, especially compared to inexpensive options out there, but was a bit uncomfortable on my back and shoulders. Also, the child rode a bit high up, causing me to feel less balanced as I walked. I sold it after trying out some others. The Kelty's are easy to find used on Craigslist.

The Tough Traveler Stallion is the one I still have and continue to use. The child rides lower, making my steps and balance more natural. It also makes overhanging objects less of a hazard. It feels more like a backpacking pack and can be converted to one with purchase of a conversion kit. It felt best on my back and shoulders. It is easy to keep the weight on my lower back/hips. It is lightweight, tough, and rated to 60 pounds. It ends up being pricey with accessories, but is made in the USA. http://toughtraveler.com/comparecarriers.asp

Also pricey, but better than the Kelty for the same reasons, is the Deuter Kid Comfort III. I got it online on a great sale and sold it for my cost on Craigslist once I was sure I wanted to keep the Tough Traveler. It was good, but still made me feel more off balance and more uncomfortable in the back and shoulders than the Tough Traveler. I think it had a spot for a hydration bladder. The sun/rain hood zips into the pack when not in use.
http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpacks.php?category=125

Others may have a different opinion on which is most comfortable, but it is hard to know what feels best without trying them out for awhile. The Deuter and Kelty should be available to try at REI (or buy and return if not satisfied). Tough Traveler can be returned within 30 days if you don't want it, and seems likely to give good repair service if needed.

pvnisher

by pvnisher » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am

I own the Kelty and the Deuter. For little (like, real little) kids the ERGObaby is what you want. Frameless kind of thing.

The Kelty has a better sun/mesh shield. The Deuter fits my back better and IMO has a better waistbelt. I primarily use the Deuter for the comfort for both me and my child, who seems to sleep more in the Deuter than the Kelty.
Watch out on the older models that they won't collapse and squish the kid if you fall. Most of the new ones will lock open so if you tumble the kid is protected, but the older ones don't always have that.

Whenever you go out with the kid, try to get a partner to carry the baby gear (and other hiking gear). The packs themselves are heavy, and children aren't ultra-light. Adding in water, diaper kit, clothes, wipes, etc, you can easily get 40 lbs as the kid gets a bit older.
Plus, they all carry the kid high and up/away from your shoulders. There's just no "good" way to carry a kid (esp. as they get bigger). It's better for the kid but worse for you.
Hey, take that as a cue for the rest of parenting: you make yourself uncomfortable to try to make them as comfortable as possible.

Mark M

by Mark M » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:04 pm

I used a kelty. I took off all the sunshades, pockets, and other useless stuff that made it more complicated than it needed to be. The kids loved it from about 9 months to 2.5 years. After 2.5 or so they wouldn't stay in it very long because they wanted to run around.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 am

Thanks for all the info!

The main improvements I want are:
* better/more supportive hip belt;
* thicker padded shoulder straps;
* a spot for water/camelbak;
* sun shade for the baby.

Other than that, I really don't mind carrying the extra weight. Nothing like passing people on the trail with a kid on your back :mrgreen:

peakhugger

by peakhugger » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Anybody tried the Osprey Poco packs?

colinr

by colinr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 pm

^^^Something new has come along in the past few years. The Osprey Poco packs do look worth checking out. http://mediaspot.ospreypacks.com/tag/poco-premium/. It looks like they could be tried on at REI
as well.

Luciano136 wrote:The main improvements I want are:
* better/more supportive hip belt;
* thicker padded shoulder straps;
* a spot for water/camelbak;
* sun shade for the baby.

Other than that, I really don't mind carrying the extra weight. Nothing like passing people on the trail with a kid on your back :mrgreen:

Well, everything mentioned so far meets your criteria, but I'm curious about any other serious contenders not mentioned yet. I'm going to have at least 4-5 more years of potential use and my wife could possibly use a pack at the same time as me. As far as speed, I can manage spurts of jogging with proper form using the Tough Traveler, but not while using the others. It also packs down the smallest of ones I tried for traveling/storage. The Osprey carriers look to be very competitive with the Deuter, Kelty, and Tough Traveler. Osprey sounds like it might have the best sun shade situation and biggest hydration bladder specific capacity. If I ever wander into a place that has one, I'll have to check it out.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm

I'll try to go to REI this weekend and hopefully they have a few models in stock. My dividend came in, so it may be good timing :)

That Osprey indeed looks awesome! The Plus looks like the one to get; unfortunately not much on the used market.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I've decided to give the Osprey Poco Plus a try. Looks like a well sorted pack with lots of features and adjustability. I'm hoping to give it a test run this weekend; will report back :)

Return to Gear