Sierra Snowpack 50% Below Average

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
96avs01

Re: Sierra Snowpack 50% Below Average

by 96avs01 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:56 pm

^^^Many THANKS!

PrestonRhea

by PrestonRhea » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:26 am

Kahuna wrote: PS Laura, report from today's events, Checkered Demon/Kindergarten and North Couloir of Humphreys are in "Primo" conditions.

By "Primo" conditions is that hard snow all the way or ice?

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 am

PrestonRhea wrote:
Kahuna wrote: PS Laura, report from today's events, Checkered Demon/Kindergarten and North Couloir of Humphreys are in "Primo" conditions.

By "Primo" conditions is that hard snow all the way or ice?

"Spring" cornish conditions between 10am and 1or2ish pm.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 am

While we're the subject of "corn." Old Man's Bowl is totally skiable 8-10AM. Climbed it today, wish I'd had skis with me!

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:49 am

MooseTracks wrote:
While the conditions on Whitney tell one story, I had a buddy ski Ritter and Banner on gorgeous conditions last weekend. He said the river crossing was thin and would be gone soon. Skiing out under the thundersnow helped them quite a bit.

Higher elevations (except windblow) seem to still have a good base (from two weekends ago):

Yup, I thought I had said exactly that. Same ol' story, I guess, Rick.

Way to pick up the phone instead of actually going out to find out about conditions yourself.

Cheers.

The following user would like to thank Princess Buttercup for this post
Vitaliy M.

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:53 pm

96avs01 wrote:You know are the approaches skinable, or is one humping gear a ways? TIA

Here ya go. Taken Saturday morning around 10 am on a little recon walk yo scope out a potential new FA on the East Face of Humphreys.

Looking up at the Eastface of Humphreys directly across from Checkered Demon and Kindergarten:

Heading back down the plateau. We began postholing as the morning progressed so we vamoosed outta there. Snow was firm early, 5AM through 11ish AM.

MooseTracks wrote:Yup, I thought I had said exactly that. Same ol' story, I guess, Rick.

Way to pick up the phone instead of actually going out to find out about conditions yourself.

Cheers.

Now, what was that assinine assuming "guess" comment Laura? The phone call was to confirm the "actual" skiing conditions on Monday, of the two chutes I mentioned, from my buddy (the dude in the third photo) who returned with his GF to ski em. I do not ski any more after destroying my left knee three years ago on the "Hill".

I think you have been spending toooooo much time licking that side of Bacon. Moose do have a terrible habit of doing that. That is why they are constantly nailed on the highways of the Northeast and killed. They don't have enough smart sense to move outta the way of oncoming vehicles. They are always assuming.

God I love this internet.

PS: Unlike others here, NO Photoshopping of my shots in order to make them look, "better".

EDIT:

Taken fifteen minutes ago from my front yard. Actual current condition photo:

Walkabout Recon last Saturday:

The following user would like to thank Kahuna for this post
John Duffield

Burchey

by Burchey » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm jealous of both of you - living so close to all that good mountain goodness. Thanks for posting up pictures.

The following user would like to thank Burchey for this post
Princess Buttercup

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 pm

OH! Ok, I think I get it now. So what you're saying is that because you no longer ski, you don't trust your own judgement of independently gathered beta on conditions. Instead, you turn to others for corroboration of your supposed findings.

That's totally cool.

Mmm... bacon...

no avatar
Kahuna

by Kahuna » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 am

MooseTracks wrote: I think I get it now. So what you're saying is that because you no longer ski, you don't trust your own judgement of independently gathered beta on conditions.

Instead, you turn to others for corroboration of your supposed findings.

I gave NO condition/findings to be corroborated. There ya go assuming again.

Instead, I asked an individual who actually skied the area/chutes in question, two days AFTER he and I were there, to give a more concise and accurate current "Ski" report.

Previous

Return to California