Joshua Tree Vandals

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Marmaduke

Joshua Tree Vandals

by Marmaduke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 am

Has anyone seen this? Based on the article, I would bet that using social media will end up being these punks downfall.
http://now.msn.com/joshua-tree-vandalism-shuts-down-national-park-sites

TimB

Re: Joshua Tree Vandals

by TimB » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:33 pm

[quote="Marmaduke"] I would bet that using social media will end up being these punks downfall.

I sure hope so! What a pity that a few scumbags can ruin a great place for everybody else.
:x

simonov

by simonov » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 pm

". . . it's easier than ever to post images of graffiti tags and thus inspire others to do the same."

WTF? I wonder how many morons I've "inspired" by posting these pics from the summit of Mt San Gorgonio?

Nunc est bibendum.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 am

These sick and cowardly acts have gotta STOP! !

New laws and a complete ban on Sharpie Marking Pens is certainly in ORDER !
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

norco17

by norco17 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

From the comments below the story.

at least for graffiti vandalizing: mandatory worthless tattooing

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 pm

The big problem is catching the people who do this. They usually pick the less crowded times, and it takes just seconds to tag a rock with spray paint.

The Icebox Canyon trail in Red Rock used to be fairly clear; but there has been an explosion of tagging in the last few years, most within a mile of so of the trailhead. The trail is too good; we used to just go up the wash and climb over the rocks, and that effort was enough to discourage the taggers.

norco17

by norco17 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm

MoapaPk wrote:The big problem is catching the people who do this. They usually pick the less crowded times, and it takes just seconds to tag a rock with spray paint.

I Agree 100%. And the park service is dumb enough to think that closing sections of the park will stop this. :roll:

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:54 pm

I haven't seen the specific areas mentioned in the article but saw some graffiti in Indian Cove near Feudal Wall that had been "cleaned up". Still could tell something was there with the damage cause to the rock. Somebody else chalked a heart to the walll.

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:40 pm

there should be reward for turning in the people who did this.why the hell would someone do this anyway?! :o :o :o

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't why they closed JT just for some graffiti.

The feds themselves are responsible for the worse vandalism is the USA... What's a little spray paint compared to this?

David Senesac

by David Senesac » Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 am

Part of what I wrote on another board:

...Joshua Tree National Park is very close to the Los Angeles mega-metropolis which is full of gangs and social deviants. So is particularly vulnerable to graffiti and vandalism. The first thing authorities need to do is make the crime way more financially painful than the usual wimpy penalities given for painting on some urban wall. Confiscate vehicles used to enter parks and then sell em.

An obvious way to clamp down on such graffiti is to record licence plate numbers of every vehicle entering the park which can be done automatically by robots and then creating a database which correllates dates of discovery of such vandalism with entering visitors. There are just 3 park entrances and most climbers enter from the main northwest one. Probably the same cretins are coming back for more because bragging has always been huge in that underworld culture. Once a vehicle is on a refined list and reappears coming into the park, the database could alert a team for immediate undercover survellance. Local vehicles that frequently enter the park for legitimate reasons could quickly be removed from the list. The vandals likely are carrying their paint in daypacks while being disguised in typical hiker bouldering clothing but at some point have to take out their tools and then can be seen at a distance by a team with binoculars. Instead of busting them at their parked vehicles they ought to do so when they leave the park at the gate in order to keep the survellance strategy secret.

Another obvious strategy would be to set up actual cameras using the same trigger tools wildlife biologists use to remotely capture all manner of wildlife goings on. A tagger enters a favored graffiti area through a narrow section breaking through an invisbile infared sensor beam that then starts captures.

Park authorities need to get off their d!@# butts and do something without whining about lack of funding. Get regional politicians involved. Make it happen.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com

Return to California