Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Old votes need adjusting

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.

Old votes need adjusting

Postby yatsek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 pm

All less than 10/10 votes cast before the current system was introduced should be turned to ones (or perhaps twos). In all likelihood, the intention of the voter was to vote a particular thing down, while now the old 6 to 9 votes up the page score instead of lowering it. A case in point is a Bob Smith text, currently on the front page.
yatsek

Re: Old votes need adjusting

Postby yatsek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 pm

rgg wrote:... does your new 8, 9 and 10 still mean the same to you as your old ones? (If this makes you feel inclined to check all your old votes, good luck on finding them all.)

As I don’t feel inclined to check all my old votes, I’d rather my old 9s were turned to e.g. 2s by the elves.
yatsek

Postby yatsek » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Problem is that I've voted some 8/10s on some bad but not terrible pages.

You shouldn't have. :)
Josh Lewis wrote:Cutting the old votes in half would be a better way to go (except for 10s).

Hmm, how about dividing them by 3?
yatsek

Postby yatsek » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:As for my answer to Larry's question, putting aside my dislike of how the article was presented I'll say what's wrong with the page. Bob trashed talked people. He did not treat me very well. :? Had he been more respectful that would have been a different story.

Well, what can be expected of someone who states that religion is “the most evil creation of mankind” :?: I just wonder why such a sane guy hasn’t asked for asylum in North Korea yet.
yatsek

Postby mrchad9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:13 am

Jacek, please consider a couple of questions and one comment...

Are you suggesting that we change the counting of old votes so that they more easily downvote contributions? That seems to be what your last comment is supporting.

Do you think more people will be angered by leaving things as is or by us modifying how their old votes are tallied?

Finally, see the post below posted to the 'Scared on Ship Rock' trip report. A quick review of comments on that work seems to indicate that in many cases those who hated it voted a one, while if 'ambivalent' voted a 5... even though a 5 was not counted as ambivalence in the old system, it was intended that way by this voter and is now treated as such.

Ambivalent
Voted 5/10

I respect your right to climb this rock, but not to flaunt treading on the sensitivities of others. Great climb nonetheless. 5/10, can't have it both ways.
Posted Dec 6, 2010 12:59 am
mrchad9

Postby yatsek » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm

Chad,

1 Yes. Within the old system most of the voters did realize what a 1-9 really meant.

2 Hard to predict. But I guess more of those who speak up will express their annoyance at their votes being changed.

3 In practice that "ambivalence" was a polite way of telling the writer that in spite of some pros the score should go down as the page contains something unacceptable. Please also see the last seanpeckham's comment here.

Last but not least, would one find the controversial Bob Smith text among the best SP articles (first page if ordered by score) if the counting of the votes hadn't been changed?
yatsek

Return to Site Feedback