How to get a college kid climbing

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
BriannaNicole

How to get a college kid climbing

by BriannaNicole » Sat May 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Hello, I'm Brianna and I'm 17 and live in California, and I really want to get into mountaineering.
I know there are a ton of opportunities here in California, but I live at least 4 hours away from any mountains and have nobody to do anything with me who shares my passion. Also, I'm starting college at UC Davis this fall, and so pretty much all of my money now and for the next year has to go to my education, and all guided trips I've looked for are unfortunately out of my financial capabilities, except for a couple little beginner one-day training sessions I've signed up for. I won't even have a car after this summer...
How can I pursue my dream and start climbing with a very limited budget? Is my best bet to try to make friends with experienced climbers and rent/borrow equipment and go with them?
I don't know, any advice is really appreciated! And if anybody is going on some climbs here and is willing to take along a girl with little experience but a lot of enthusiasm, feel free to contact me :D

colinr

Re: How to get a college kid climbing

by colinr » Sat May 04, 2013 8:47 pm

This group seems worth checking out:

https://m.facebook.com/davisclimbing?id=141527615993273&_rdr

In the meantime, for this spring through midsummer, try checking/posting in the California partners forum.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/us-california-f45.html

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Sun May 05, 2013 1:46 am

Brianna,

These folks are just down the road in Sacramento. They seem to have events/trips going every week:

http://www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/

Good luck!

The following user would like to thank Jesus Malverde for this post
BriannaNicole

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:47 am

since i will soon be in your same situation i have researched this a little. of coarse you can find a climbing partner, but here is another option. Amtrak provides combined train and bus service to Yosemite valley. Greyhound provides service from Sacramento to Merced, and the Yosemite Area Regional Transport System(YARTS) can then take you to Yosemite valley. In the summer when Tioga pass is open, YARTS goes through the valley,as well as various first-come-first-serve campgrounds out of the valley,Tuolumne Meadows, and east of the park. so even though they are not free they are cheap. Amtrak, there and back, park entrance fee, and campground fees total should be under one Benjamin.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm

have fun however you get there!

The following user would like to thank youngclimer123 for this post
BriannaNicole

MichaelRyanSD

by MichaelRyanSD » Sun May 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Id say you'd also have to piece your gear together from geartrade.com and ebay, rather then run to REI

The following user would like to thank MichaelRyanSD for this post
BriannaNicole

ROL

by ROL » Sun May 05, 2013 9:07 pm

My only regret about my 3 years of graduate school at UCDavis is that I did not take advantage of their vital Outdoor Adventures program until after graduation (though already a climber).

Burchey

by Burchey » Sun May 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Hey Brianna,

Welcome to the climb. I've not been in the mountains long, but I can share some advice that I wish I knew from the start.

1. Gear - don't rush out and start buying a bunch of gear, especially new, and especially not full retail. Borrow what you can from the start. Read a lot and talk to the people you meet to discover what works and what doesn't. None of this is really cheap, and I wish I could reverse several purchases I made.

2. Carrying too much - if you like this hobby and stick with it, you'll notice over time your progression towards lighter/less. Most bozos (myself included) start out carrying crazy amounts of pointless gear, and you'll often keep yourself from reaching a goal because you've brought too much weight. Again, consult with online discussions and those more experienced climbers you run into for advice.

3. This is not something I wish I knew, but good advice regardless: Online forums are full of a bunch of pervy older guys that may/may not climb that much. My advice is to find some nice strong climbing women to show you the ropes. Steer clear of the bros - if you've spent any amount of time on climbing forums, you already know this. It's sad, but if you look at their profile pictures (or the very telling lack of them) I guess it makes sense.

4. Along the lines of #3: avoid the habit of posting pictures of yourself in the mountains with all your parts hanging out. This may get you some attention, but zero respect. We already have one of those type of posters here, and it's one too many.

5. Lastly, have a FRICKING BLAST and don't die.

The following user would like to thank Burchey for this post
BriannaNicole, youngclimer123

BriannaNicole

by BriannaNicole » Mon May 06, 2013 11:24 pm

ROL wrote:My only regret about my 3 years of graduate school at UCDavis is that I did not take advantage of their vital Outdoor Adventures program until after graduation (though already a climber).

I will DEFINITELY be joining Outdoor Adventures :)

BriannaNicole

by BriannaNicole » Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 pm

Burchey wrote:Hey Brianna,

Welcome to the climb. I've not been in the mountains long, but I can share some advice that I wish I knew from the start.

1. Gear - don't rush out and start buying a bunch of gear, especially new, and especially not full retail. Borrow what you can from the start. Read a lot and talk to the people you meet to discover what works and what doesn't. None of this is really cheap, and I wish I could reverse several purchases I made.

3. This is not something I wish I knew, but good advice regardless: Online forums are full of a bunch of pervy older guys that may/may not climb that much. My advice is to find some nice strong climbing women to show you the ropes. Steer clear of the bros - if you've spent any amount of time on climbing forums, you already know this. It's sad, but if you look at their profile pictures (or the very telling lack of them) I guess it makes sense.

Thank you so much!! I'm going to try to do my best to borrow/rent a majority of equipment, And I spend my money wisely and won't buy something like that until I know for sure that it's right!
And yes, I have actually worried about that. I don't think my dad would be okay with me being alone on a mountain with a bunch of older male strangers...

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Tue May 07, 2013 5:41 am

Def find some strong female climbers. I know women just as strong in the mountains as men, if not stronger. The outdoor club is your best avenue. I started my gear stash/rack by getting hand me downs from more experienced climbers I met and climbed with over the years. Now, I've been doing the same thing with people I mentor. Watch a lot of advice you get on this forum......if you're on here longer than a week, you'll see what I mean.

Burchey

by Burchey » Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 am

WyomingSummits wrote:Def find some strong female climbers. I know women just as strong in the mountains as men, if not stronger. The outdoor club is your best avenue. I started my gear stash/rack by getting hand me downs from more experienced climbers I met and climbed with over the years. Now, I've been doing the same thing with people I mentor. Watch a lot of advice you get on this forum......if you're on here longer than a week, you'll see what I mean.

Good advice from WS.

He's right about watching the advice. You'll see folks tell you one method, then completely contradict it in their next post, and then deny the whole thing ever happened.

Internetz rule!

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:23 am

Jesus Malverde wrote:Brianna,

These folks are just down the road in Sacramento. They seem to have events/trips going every week:

http://www.sierramountaineeringgroup.org/

Good luck!

I would NOT recommend going with SMG. Bunch of clusterfucks just waiting for a serious accident to happen. Get way in over their head with an improperly trained pseudo guide and disaster ensues. There are better ways to go.

colinr

by colinr » Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 am

BriannaNicole wrote:I will DEFINITELY be joining Outdoor Adventures :)

Between OA and related ARC wall, you should be set for a long time without needing to rob a bank. Later, you can judge what other avenues to pursue with some experience already on your side. I wish I had participated in my college's version of OA and taken advantage of low fees for a wall close to living quarters. No need to sift through forums, unless you enjoy passing time that way as much as many here do. If you enjoy reading homework, check out The Freedom of the Hills.

BriannaNicole

by BriannaNicole » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 am

SeanReedy wrote: If you enjoy reading homework, check out The Freedom of the Hills.

Already got it! :D Along with like 3 other mountain climbing books haha

BriannaNicole

by BriannaNicole » Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 am

[/quote]
I would NOT recommend going with SMG. Bunch of clusterfucks just waiting for a serious accident to happen. Get way in over their head with an improperly trained pseudo guide and disaster ensues. There are better ways to go.[/quote]
Do you have any suggestions of better ways to go?

Next

Return to California