Trinity Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Raj217

Trinity Alps

by Raj217 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:02 pm

I am thinking of exploring Trinity Alps over the Memorial Day weekend. The plan is to set up base camp somewhere in the back-country and bag a few peaks.

Any idea what conditions to expect this year ?

no avatar
Funyan005

Re: Trinity Alps

by Funyan005 » Sat May 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Snow is melting very rapidly at this point. A month ago I couldn't make it up to canyon creek lakes without snowshoes, a week later there was no snow on the trail.
Depending on which peaks you're looking at there's probably no snow until 5-6k feet in most areas if not higher, haven't been out that way recently. I'm headin up to monument peak tomorrow though, I'll try to post up some pics to give you an idea of conditions

The following user would like to thank Funyan005 for this post
youngclimer123

OOG

by OOG » Sun May 19, 2013 7:31 pm

Here is the northeast corner of the wilderness viewed form the PCT near the Gumboot Trailhead on Friday (5/17). The peaks on the far right are the mountains over the Bear Lakes, the peaks on the far left are near Poison Canyon (Ycatapom Peak not visible).

This shot is looking at the northeast aspects of the peaks, which should hold the most snow. Things look pretty dry, but these aren't the highest peaks in the wilderness.

Here is another shot with a view further north, the red peaks near center are the mountains over East Boulder Lakes.

I haven't done any hiking in the alps yet this year but have been to the Trinity Divide and the Siskyou Wilderness (the ranges immediately east and further west of the alps). In the Trinity Divide you'd be hard pressed to find any significant snow below 7k. They are a bit drier than than the alps though so I'd expect more snow there. The Siskiyous are about a month ahead of where they should be in terms of melting, and I'd expect this time frame to match the melting in the alps.

OOG

by OOG » Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Also, in case you weren't already aware, the forest service publishes a trail conditions report. The info can be very dated though, so keep that in mind.

no avatar
Funyan005

by Funyan005 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 am

I'll try to post up some pictures tomorrow, but snow is nonexistent below 6500. Very spotty snow coverage on any south slopes below 7500. North slopes above 7k seem to be relatively covered in spots.
Not sure where you're looking at but between 6k and 7800 for monument peak today I didn't step on any snow.

youngclimer123

by youngclimer123 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:05 am

as for the weather, this week will be colder than normal and a weak storm is moving in today and tomorrow. snow level is 2600 feet(really low), and possible 1-3 inches of accumulation, temps in the mid teens above 6500. it will warm up in to the weekend, but don't know how fast the snow will melt, it will stay pretty cold for all of northern Ca., and almost winter like above 6k into the weekend. be prepared for cold, unsettled weather.

pschwerdt

by pschwerdt » Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 pm

I went up to the Alps the first weekend in May and it looked like mid June up there.

Return to California