Which guided company to use to climb Kilimanjaro?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
bande

by bande » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 am

http://rechakilimanjarosummit.com/

I had a great time with this outfit.

The following user would like to thank bande for this post
jamesericau

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:35 am

The following user would like to thank Alpinist for this post
jamesericau

Mike Zastoupil

by Mike Zastoupil » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:31 pm

I am looking at Kili for March or April 09. Zara is high on my list. Any recent thoughts on this outfit

eza

by eza » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Mike Zastoupil wrote:I am looking at Kili for March or April 09. Zara is high on my list. Any recent thoughts on this outfit

I've been over there with Zara a couple of times. Reliable people, I can't help recommending them. Drop me a private message if you want any additional info.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:34 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:dcheng ... trying to climb all 7 summits in one month???

Five days or less does seem a bit tight. Unless you're acclimated already. My friends of friends did it recently
http://kilts2kenya.com/k2k_aboutUs.html
But they had acclimated on MT Kenya

andre hangaard

AWR

by andre hangaard » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:41 am

I used Adventure within reach. http://www.adventureswithinreach.com/ in 2007.
They were very good. cheers. André

The following user would like to thank andre hangaard for this post
jamesericau

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:54 pm

I hear that SMI has a very professional, well planned, very cordial, personable and successful program with one of the best and seasoned Guides in the entire business. :wink:

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:52 pm

I was under the impression, they all sub contracted it to African Walking.

PeakPlanet

by PeakPlanet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:12 pm

John Duffield wrote:I was under the impression, they all sub contracted it to African Walking.

Not true. AWC has partnerships with only a handful of international companies. We are their only partner in the USA.

axelandr

by axelandr » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 am

I'm going with this outfit - http://www.martoursandsafaris.com/kilimanjaro.htm.

so far I have only been emailing with them, but they're answers comes back quickly each times, always with lots of good information. they are also quite inexpensive, I'm doing a combined Meru/Kili-trip in 10 days, with 3 night at a B&B for a little over 1800 USD. I was also able to choose my own route up the mountain, meaning I'm combining 2 different routes (machame/western breach). this is the price for going alone, as far as I know they offer discounts when you are several going.

Alex.

7summits

by 7summits » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:36 am

why would you want to do it in 5 days or less? That is quite crazy unless you are coming from another mountain with similar height.

If so, we can do it, if not, we will not organize anything than 6 days, with 7 or more strongly recommended. Even if you are acclimatized, it is a shame to rush it and the costs of the extra days are low compared to the flights you have to make to return for a second attempt..

Read the customer comments about our trips and triplength: http://7summits.com/expeditions.php

Last year I personally guided a 26-person team (age 14-57) to the summit, on a 10 days trip. We hiked every day, spent a night in the crater and everybody (!) summited. Even with one day less, at least 5 people would not have made it.
While we were celebrating (dancing, champagne!) at the summit a party of 6 climbers approached at a snails pace and between vomiting and falling down managed to get a quick summit picture before they had to head down to save their lives.

Yes, they were a 6 day trip, sounds like fun? Just enjoy yourself on a longer trip and as a bonus you will be safer and have a higher summit chance.

Cheers, Harry

The following user would like to thank 7summits for this post
jamesericau

kovarpa

Re: AWR

by kovarpa » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:49 am

andre hangaard wrote:I used Adventure within reach. http://www.adventureswithinreach.com/ in 2007.
They were very good. cheers. André

+1 in 2007. Very good experience, recommended. They were using ZARA at the time. I believe they are working with a different local company now.

axelandr

by axelandr » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:29 pm

just got back from my trip with Mar Tours and Safaris. well worth the money, but they are cheap so cheap is what you get. I guess there isn't any problem "upgrading" a little if you want to, you just have to say so before coming.. things like hotels etc.

Alex.

no avatar
JHBGerry

Re: Which guided company to use to climb Kilimanjaro?

by JHBGerry » Mon May 27, 2013 11:19 am

One of the best Kili operators is Adventure Dynamics, which is based in South Africa. They can take you up any route, and can tailor your package to suit you.

The owner (Sean Disney) has summitted Kili about 20 times, in addition to doing the Seven Summits twice, and both Poles.

The local guides used have a good relationship with Adventure Dynamics, and they are well organised and friendly.

I have no hesitation in recommending Adventure Dynamics. I climbed Kili with them in 2012.

Whilst Kili is relatively easy, Adventure Dynamics has an amazing success rate.

Next

Return to Africa