New climber

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Cl4r3

New climber

by Cl4r3 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 pm

I'm climbing a few mountains for charity (amongst other things) we started off lightly with Vesuvius a couple of weeks ago (easy) next stop is Ben Nevis but the big one is Kilimanjaro.

I have over a year until Kili but just wondered if you have any tips at all on things to make sure I take. Also what sort of exercises are best to do before I go. I'm not the fittest of people so want to do a hardcore programme before I go to make sure I'm in top condition.

I'm new to this climbing thing but starting to enjoy it. Been watching YouTube videos about climbing Kili, some scared the life out of me, people crying, water bottles freezing (as well as cameras) -15 temperatures.

Any tips will be brilliant, want to know what I'm letting myself in for. Have started to buy little items eg. Water bottle, thermal clothes, hiking poles etc....

Just want to make sure I'm fully prepared

Thanks in advance

Tonka

Re: New climber

by Tonka » Tue May 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Hate to be cynical but charities do not make money off climbers, climbers try to climb mountains on charity.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Proterra

Cl4r3

by Cl4r3 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:07 am

I am paying for the full cost of all the trips myself. Not a single penny goes towards paying for any of climbs or other events.

I wanted to do something to raise money for a charity close to my family.

I suggest you get your facts straight before assuming anything, I came here for some advice not to be judges, think I'll go elsewhere.

MichaelRyanSD

by MichaelRyanSD » Wed May 29, 2013 4:05 am

I think he was just making a joke....relax...

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Wed May 29, 2013 4:11 am

Cl4r3 wrote:I am paying for the full cost of all the trips myself. Not a single penny goes towards paying for any of climbs or other events.

I wanted to do something to raise money for a charity close to my family.

I suggest you get your facts straight before assuming anything, I came here for some advice not to be judges, think I'll go elsewhere.

Wow dude... rib-threshold is pretty low, eh?
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Mountain Bandit

by Mountain Bandit » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 am

Ignor Tonka - one needs a thick skin to contribute to this site. Besides, Tonka is probably correct for a fair few cases...........

Fitness for climbing and demanding treks is simple: run long(ish) distances and go for fast walks with a heavy pack (perferably up and down hills). Both body conditioning and general fitness are important. 4-6 sessions (1hr min) a week works well for me (with a longer 2-5hr session on the weekend) when prepping for an adventure in the spectrum of Kili.

I'm in a similar situation to you (assuming UK) where local high altitude training is not possible so I'm not really in a position to provide meaningsful tips in that regard. However, having tacked a few high(ish) altitude climbs I find that the fitter and more conditioned you are, the better you cope.

no avatar
ibelieveindevil

by ibelieveindevil » Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 am

Ok, since you have clear the Charity doubts, hmm, Ben Nevis and Kilimanjaro.

firstly read this 2 pages
http://www.summitpost.org/ben-nevis/150801
http://www.summitpost.org/kilimanjaro/150202

Having done so, now formulate the climb.
Which route, what type of climbing partners, how much you plan to spend, when you plan to climb as well.

If climbing the peak is the only goal, then congratulation, the easiest path of both mountains are not technical, and occasional use of hand to grab some ropes is what you need.

An inexperience climber may face tiring, breathing difficulties and cry on the mountain, but seriously if you prepare well enough, there isnt any real big deal.

the only main concern for your life is the attitude sickness on kilimanjaro due to its height, so you need to prepare before hand, buy some diamox and do a lot of cardio.

train your stamina, you need climb a lot of stairs, run a lot, and do a lot of trekking.
try to train at least 5 days a week, trek along the hills near by, try to run a long distant (start short, and slowly increase the distant covered)

the simpleast route on Ben Nevis is Pony Track, and there is no real challenge if you are prepared enough.

For kilimanjaro, you just need to do enough traing, probably with weights added on your backpack, and do some camping..

try doing multiple days hiking

WillP

by WillP » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 am

Cl4r3 wrote: Just want to make sure I'm fully prepared

'Fully prepared' includes doing something for honest reasons. Don't climb 'to raise awareness' of something. Don't climb to 'riase money' for something. By all means donate your time and / or money to worthy causes, but climb things because you love climbing. Climbing is selfish. You climb for yourself, first and foremost (especially if you're climbing standard routes on standard peaks). Be honest with yourself.

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:03 pm

For training I'd add biking to your list, even modest hills are great for working your quads. You can also put on a heavy pack and walk up and down stairs or bleachers if you don't have some good hills nearby.

Return to General