Rainier with minimal glacier travel

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Washington and Oregon. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Pacific Northwest Climbing Partners section.
clmbr

Re: Rainier with minimal glacier travel

by clmbr » Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 am

brrrdog wrote:. . .
Good luck. My plan is to attempt Rainer myself next summer.

I missed that sentence before but if you really counting on climbing Mt Rainier solo, you should check out their requirements if you qualify before you get disappointed: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/climbing.htm

no avatar
brrrdog

by brrrdog » Fri May 31, 2013 9:05 pm

clmbr wrote:

I missed that sentence before but if you really counting on climbing Mt Rainier solo, you should check out their requirements if you qualify before you get disappointed: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/climbing.htm

Lol, hell no I'm not doing it solo. I meant I (myself) am also planning on climbing Rainier, not that I'm climbing Rainier by myself :)

clmbr

by clmbr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:44 am

brrrdog wrote:
clmbr wrote:

Lol, hell no I'm not doing it solo. I meant I (myself) am also planning on climbing Rainier, not that I'm climbing Rainier by myself :)

Sorry for misunderstanding :oops: , either way climb safe and, perhaps, post a trip report.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:First off, trying to climb Rainier while avoiding glaciers is a bit like climbing El Capitan without doing any rock climbing. You kind of miss the whole point of it.

+1

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking as I read the OP.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:10 am

Bob Sihler wrote:
ExcitableBoy wrote:First off, trying to climb Rainier while avoiding glaciers is a bit like climbing El Capitan without doing any rock climbing. You kind of miss the whole point of it.

+1

Pretty much exactly what I was thinking as I read the OP.

And you miss the ice worms, too. :mrgreen:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
brrrdog

by brrrdog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:59 pm

clmbr wrote:
brrrdog wrote:
clmbr wrote:I missed that sentence before but if you really counting on climbing Mt Rainier solo, you should check out their requirements if you qualify before you get disappointed: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/climbing.htm

Sorry for misunderstanding :oops: , either way climb safe and, perhaps, post a trip report.

No apologies necessary - in the end you're just looking out for a guy from Michigan (who you'd guess correctly has minimal climbing experience) and wants to make sure his trip isn't ruined by poor planning. I guess that's the one advantage of living where I live - it takes a lot to just get to the base of a mountain - so we spend a lot of time planning since we're likely 6 months to a year between shots. I guess that's why I piped up on this post - i feel comfortable that with some dedication the OPs author could easily add glacier travel to his skill set and not eliminate an option based solely on the presence of crevasses. He may pick that other route anyway, but it's always good to know more than you need to.

Previous

Return to Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)