Cotopaxi - Ecuador

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
tsunami

Cotopaxi - Ecuador

by tsunami » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Does anyone know if Cotopaxi is safe to climb after June 2nd accident involving a Canadian tourist? Is the trail in good condition? Has anyone climbed it since June 2nd. I had scheduled to go to Ecuador next week and climb it and the company who is providing the guides is saying that Cotopaxi is ok but I am not sure if trust this information.

Doddyp74

Re: Cotopaxi - Ecuador

by Doddyp74 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Hi - I was on Cotopaxi the morning before the accident. The (direct) route is in good condition with a new ladder placed over the crevasse at 5,400m (although note that the uphill side is on a cornice - good anchor before crossing warranted). I can't comment about conditions above 5,500m, where the accident occured, as we turned around at that serac because our guide considered it too unstable. I understand that the accident area was cleared of ice shortly after, I'm sure it's fine now.

rvunit

by rvunit » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm interested in climbing Cotopaxi in November of this year. I'm 53 and reasonably fit. How much time do I need? I read that the climb starts at 4500 meters? also, I did Kili 3 years ago without to much difficulty so I assume I should be okay?

rgg
Forum Moderator

by rgg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:30 pm

rvunit wrote:I'm interested in climbing Cotopaxi in November of this year. I'm 53 and reasonably fit. How much time do I need? I read that the climb starts at 4500 meters? also, I did Kili 3 years ago without to much difficulty so I assume I should be okay?

The answers to all your questions (and some that you didn't ask) can be found in the Cotopaxi mountain page right here. Apart ftom the altitude, it's not comparable to Kili, as there is a serious glacier on Cotopaxi.

The following user would like to thank rgg for this post
Jesus Malverde

Return to South America