White Mountain Road Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
lefty

White Mountain Road Conditions

by lefty » Wed May 01, 2013 4:38 am

Does anyone know the current road conditions? I heard that about a week ago the road was open to Patriarch Grove.

SideTrip

Re: White Mountain Road Conditions

by SideTrip » Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 pm

I just called the White Mountain Ranger Station and the ranger told me that the road is open to the Barcroft gate (trailhead) however you will need a 4wd high clearance vehicle after the pavement ends at Schulman Grove as this is where they stop plowing.

Are you heading up there soon? I'm planning on being up there in two weeks but since I don't have 4wd I'm not sure how far I'll make. If you do end up going I'd love to hear how the road is.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 pm

My guess would be that no 4wd would be fine. The road isn't bad at all and they tend to keep the gate closed if it is too snowy or muddy so it doesn't tear up the road.

no avatar
edge17

by edge17 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 pm

I was there a few years ago, took my Honda Accord. You don't need a 4wd, but can't hurt either

asmrz

by asmrz » Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 pm

I would not rely on the White Mountain Ranger Station to tell me anything, especially outside of summer season.

My wife Penelope spoke several times with John Louth, the ranger on duty in early February regarding the conditions and access. She was told that there was a chance of us walking 6.5 miles just to get to Sierra View Point due to deep snow.. We wanted to backcountry ski to the White Mountain.

Upon arrival at Sierra View Point's closed gate on February 3rd without any problems or snow encountered, we found no snow at all up to 12,000 feet, which would have meant hiking and carrying our skis at least 17 or more miles just to get to any snow. We bailed but made a note of the wonderful quality of service the White Mountain Ranger Station provides.

Later I was told by a friend living in Bishop that the rangers at these stations are office people and have absolutely not a clue about backcountry conditions. Our experience confirms it. We rarely ever ask anyone, we try to rely on our own judgement, but we did this time and got burned.

jmcc

by jmcc » Sat May 11, 2013 4:00 pm

The recent weather deposited a lot of snow up there. Looked like snow from the gate level.
White Mountain yesterday:
Attachments
_DSC2336.jpg
_DSC2336.jpg (158.54 KiB) Viewed 10759 times

no avatar
paulzo

by paulzo » Mon May 13, 2013 5:35 am

Drove up on Friday, 5/10. No problem with my Honda Oddyssey to Patriarch grove turnoff, any car could make it fine. Solid snow just past there. Walked up to Sheep Mountain - about 6" to a foot of new snow at the top. Saw solid snow between there and White Mtn. peak.

The following user would like to thank paulzo for this post
Deb, deungsan

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Mon May 20, 2013 2:36 am

was taking photos of the sign at patriach grove today

when the usfs ranger came down and pulled the sign - road's open!

just a few snow patches and some wet/muddy section

The following user would like to thank Clydascope for this post
Fredd C Dobbs

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 pm

The West Ridge Route driving directions need to be updated. The short road connecting White Mt Ranch Rd to Jeffery Mine Cyn Rd is gated now. I had to continue up White Mt Ranch Rd to a fork(1.23 miles) with branches both heading west(downhill). Heading back west leads to hairpin turn just 0.4 miles from the fork. Now heading NE, it's 0.73 miles to Jeffrey Mine Cyn Rd.

Here's a gmaps pedometer link: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5956349

I made it to the turnout at ~5,700', about 0.5 miles from the end of the road, driving a Honda CRV.

I wasn't sure if I was in the right canyon so I did not attempt to climb White Mt...even though I was right where I wanted to be. :P I got to Hammil after dark. I took a short night hike to see what was beyond where I parked. I found the end of the road at 6,100'. There is a sign for the Champion Mine trail head. I walked up the trail about 1/4 mile and returned to my car. That lead to further confusion. I was hoping for some sign for the Black Eagle Camp or Jeffrey Mine Canyon. I was lucky to get the White Mt Ranch Rd sign. :|

The following user would like to thank Sean Kenney for this post
deungsan

Ta2KX

by Ta2KX » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:52 pm

I am planning to drive a Ford Focus (front-wheel drive, stock) up White Mountain Rd to the Barcroft Gate and camp out there in late June.

Reading the points made above, it sounds like I'll make it ok. Given there are no freak storms or whatnot that wash part of the road away or create a lot of mud.

I'll be packing a full-size spare tire for what it's worth.

Does this seem like a reasonable venture? Any advice?

no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

by SpazzyMcgee » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:13 am

Ta2KX wrote:I am planning to drive a Ford Focus (front-wheel drive, stock) up White Mountain Rd to the Barcroft Gate and camp out there in late June.

Reading the points made above, it sounds like I'll make it ok. Given there are no freak storms or whatnot that wash part of the road away or create a lot of mud.

I'll be packing a full-size spare tire for what it's worth.

Does this seem like a reasonable venture? Any advice?

Did it in a 1998 Camry about 6 years ago. The road is washboarded and teeth-chattering, but take it slow and you should be fine.

deungsan

by deungsan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:41 am

Any updates on the road condition or trail to the summit? Thanks.

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:55 pm

Went back up there a few days ago. The road is clear, dry and rippled with washboards - like it usually is.

Didn't hike the summit but imagine it is clear and dry as well. It was a nice break from the brutal heat in the valley of late.

The wildflowers are going off!

The following user would like to thank Clydascope for this post
Bob Burd, deungsan, ExploreABitMore, johnm, johnr, Tom Kenney

deungsan

by deungsan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:12 am

Great pix!

no avatar
edg

by edg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Bump for 2014. Has anyone been up this year or know the road conditions?

Next

Return to California