Gemini summit register

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
sierraman

Gemini summit register

by sierraman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:04 am

I was descending the north face of Gemini in August 1982 when I came across a summit register on a ledge about 700 feet below the summit. As I was in a hurry to return to camp before dark I wasn't able to return the register to the summit. The register, grandly labeled SIERRA CLUB REGISTER No 564, covers the period 1974-1978. It is in remarkably good condition. Since the register only covers a period of four years there aren't that many entries, but there are some notables signed in such as RJ Secor and Doug Mantle. Apparently, when I got home, I put the register in a box with some old climbing pictures and, after almost 30 years, I just re-discovered it. So, who is collecting and archiving old summit registers? I heard once the Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley was preserving them. Anybody know?

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
Deb

mrchad9

Re: Gemini summit register

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:07 am

Should give it to someone who plans to go up Gemini sometime in the future.

What's the point of giving it to UC Berkeley? Might as well cut it into shavings and stuff it into a bong.

sierraman

by sierraman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:24 am

You know, I'm mildly embarrassed I didn't think of that myself. Not the part about smoking it in a bong, the part about giving it to someone who could place it back on the summit where it belongs. If anyone out there is planning a trip up the Gemini, let me know. And remember, no signing into the register until you get to the top.

artrock23

by artrock23 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:30 am

Chances are really good that there's already a current register at the summit, so why replace one that's 30+ years old?

Were it me, i'd do some research to find out where old registers for Sierra peaks are archived. That's far back enough to be of at least minor historical value.
It should go wherever old summit registers are kept, it seems to me.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:36 am

They are kept on summits.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
boyblue

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:39 am

This year I signed into books that went back to the 50s. And I didn't do it in a goddamn library.

artrock23

by artrock23 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:52 am

mrchad9 wrote:They are kept on summits.

Really?

Odd then that the majority of the summit registers i've seen are relatively current. On popular peaks, what is done with filled registers? I'd think it could take a small filing cabinet to house them, or at least a large container? :?

Anyway, only trying to make a helpful suggestion.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:02 am

On many peaks people steal them, including the UC Berkeley library. Doesn't make it right.

UC Berkeley has no more rights to the books than sierraman, you, or me. The main thing is once it is off the summit it is pretty much useless. No one goes to the library to read those things, they belong on the summit regardless.

Whitney and Shasta type peaks are a bit different, but not Gemini.

boyblue

by boyblue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:53 am

I signed many many old registers BITD. I think they were all meant to remain on the mountaintops where I found them. Sadly, I see that from reading Bob's trip reports, most of them are now missing. They might be at Bancroft or they may have been stolen. I don't know. I suppose if I had a choice, I'd rather that they were at Bancroft instead of some turd's private basement collection. At least if they were at Bancroft they are still somewhat accessible.

All I know is that they should be accessible only to those who actually go through the effort of climbing the peak where they were originally placed.

MilestoneRegister.jpg
Milestone Mountain Register Photographed in 1984
MilestoneRegister.jpg (908.41 KiB) Viewed 4943 times

Yeah, I know. This has been discussed many times before. I don't think there's ever been a satisfactory resolution to this annoying problem.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 am

Keep in mind that the original Bear Flag was preserved in a museum in San Francisco for safekeeping, until it was burned to oblivion in the 1906 earthquake.

There is no better place to preserve these documents than 100s of miles from Bay Area and Southern California residents.

Btw Barcroft = stolen (unless the Barcroft Library placed the original book in the first place)!

SJD

by SJD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 am

sierraman wrote:I was descending the north face of Gemini in August 1982 when I came across a summit register on a ledge about 700 feet below the summit. As I was in a hurry to return to camp before dark I wasn't able to return the register to the summit. The register, grandly labeled SIERRA CLUB REGISTER No 564, covers the period 1974-1978. It is in remarkably good condition. Since the register only covers a period of four years there aren't that many entries, but there are some notables signed in such as RJ Secor and Doug Mantle. Apparently, when I got home, I put the register in a box with some old climbing pictures and, after almost 30 years, I just re-discovered it. So, who is collecting and archiving old summit registers? I heard once the Bancroft Library at UC Berkeley was preserving them. Anybody know?

Maybe Harry could offer some good advice what to do with the register.
http://summitregister.langenbacher.org/

The following user would like to thank SJD for this post
artrock23

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 pm

At the risk of raising the Summit Registers debate again, that's utterly ridiculous to call the Bancroft's collection 'stolen' - I agree that the registers belong on peaks, but when they become full and overflow their homes they need a repository, and one concentrated spot is better than many scattered spots; where that is doesn't matter - Berkeley belongs to the Sierra as much as the Sierra belongs to Berkeley (Bishop/wherever) - if you think otherwise you should read your history on where so many of our modern climbing techniques were developed and where those climbers lived (and still live)

Anyone can access the Bancroft at any time; it's as good a place as any

The following user would like to thank sharperblue for this post
artrock23

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Unless the Bancroft library bought and deposited the books on the peaks, for them to take them is stealing. If you think otherwise you should look up the legal definition of theft.

What goes on at Whitney and Shasta is different, as the USFS purchases and places those registers. So it isn't theft for those agencies them to take them down. But if someone puts their own book on top of some peak, the folks at Bancroft have no right to take it.

thegib

by thegib » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Very many of the registers are placed by the Sierra Club with the understanding that they will eventually be removed to Bancroft for 'safe-keeping'. You might not approve, I don't, but the strong term 'theft' distracts from that debate.

Fletch

by Fletch » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Chad, come now. You're just being stubborn again. Yes, until they are full, they belong on the summit. But once they fill up, they should be thrown away or taken to a place that can preserve these things (Berkeley, wherever). I'm not going to go thumb through registers on my day off, but some day, in the future, people might. If someone wants to take on the time, effort, and expense, then I think it's a good idea to try and preserve these things. You can always burn it down later if you want to...

Next

Return to California