Alpine Ice that's in season?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
climberslacker

Alpine Ice that's in season?

by climberslacker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:59 pm

From the beta around here it looks like a good number of the "classic" alpine ice routes got shut down early this year. What are the recommendations for routes that are in season right now or that will probably be in season within the next few weeks.

I need to satiate the alpine craving before leaving for school in New York.

sharperblue

Re: Alpine Ice that's in season?

by sharperblue » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 pm

I doubt any more will be in condition in two weeks - still too early (or late) , but you can definitely sink screws on Mendel Left and Right as well as Tom Ross as well as Mount Cotter right now. If you need to sink screws on Abbot you probably shouldn't be on it :) See earlier warnings about Mendel craters though. seems like the classics on Palisades are still way too dangerous but i haven't been in there this season. If you want a huff then the excellent line on Jordan (Eastern arm, North-facing) has lots of water ice in it. Never been climbed afaik; sure looked nice a month ago though!

Also seems like the season is slowly reversing in some respects; Mendel Right was climbed several times this year in May with a decent amount of ice (and the associated safer cooler temps), but others with more history in the range could check me on that

no avatar
Palisades79

Re: Alpine Ice that's in season?

by Palisades79 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Shasta ?

Return to California