Bora Peak, Idaho.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Jose Batres

Bora Peak, Idaho.

by Jose Batres » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Does anyone knows what climbing gear I need to hike Bora Peak? I've herd that there is an expose area just bellow the summit where I need to rope up. Thank you!

Deltaoperator17

Re: Bora Peak, Idaho.

by Deltaoperator17 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:24 pm

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:47 pm

Generally, you do't need any special gear for Borah at this time of year. It should be almost completely dry. If there is snow in the saddle after Chicken Out Ridge (COR) then it is only 50-60 feet wide and there is usually a deep trough across it.

As for a rope.... some folks have used a rope on COR, but most don't. Then again, many folks do turn around when they get there because there is some exposure to deal with. COR is well before the summit. The final bit to the summit has sort of a trail, albeit through lots of loose rock.

Here's a trip report with some pictures of the route:
http://www.splattski.com/2003/borah/index.html

And here's a picture of the upper end of COR. This flat area is the saddle that sometimes holds snow. The steep area right in front is 15 or 20' tall, but has big foot holds and hand holds.

Jesus Malverde

by Jesus Malverde » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Jose,

What Splattski said.

Also, I typed this up before Splattski posted FWIW..

If you are doing the standard/dog route, then I would bring two trekking poles for sure (you won't regret it).
It's been a few years, but I don't recall the crux (Chicken Out Ridge?) being that intimidating. IMO, I thought the exposure was over-hyped. That is, you can pretty easily free climb it.
If you truly suffer from vertigo/fear of heights/edges then I would bring the requisite belay slave, rope and pro..(only you know your fear threshold).
Good luck! It's a great peak adventure.
JM

Jose Batres

by Jose Batres » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Thank you guys I appreciate your answers!

reboyles

Re: Borah Peak, Idaho

by reboyles » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Check out my photo album and you can see what you'll be facing on the ridge. Also, bring lots of liquid when you head up there. The campground is dry and you do not want to pump water out of the only creek you come across, especially if the cows have been up there. It has been in the 90s in Mackay and Challis this year which is pretty warm for the area and several people have posted on the Borah page this season.

http://www.summitpost.org/mt-borah-sout ... dge/740523

Good luck,

Bob

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 pm

When I climbed Borah, I was wearing some leather mountaineering boots I borrowed from my brother-in-law. I was actually grateful since I didn't feel all the rocks through the soles. If I had worn trail shoes or light hiking boots I would have had an even more miserable experience. I would second the advice to use trekking poles. And the COR was nothing to get chicken about. It's easy. Good luck!
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

sm0421

by sm0421 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Thank you IagosGhost! I'll be there Aug 1st with 6 team members from Philly/Boston, hope to get to the summit and then off to Kings Peak!

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:57 pm

Little snow, so the greatest danger -- slipping after the "class 4 downclimb" -- is gone.

The "class 4" is solid (and not very hard) class 3. Yes, it is steep, but the holds are huge, the exposure is moderate, and the stretch is short.

I wore approach shoes, and found this one of the most pleasant trips I'd taken, in terms of the stability of the talus/scree. There are Sierra slogs that are much, much worse.

sm0421

by sm0421 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 pm

Summited today, led a group of 6 and finished in 8h.

Left at 4:45, passed 1 group, first on top. Which I highly recommend an early start time to beat the crowd on COR.

COR is class 2/3, not that exposed, not very difficult, not scary.

Go light!

jafriesen

by jafriesen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:50 am

My brother was up there this week and said there is no snow bridge.

MoapaPk wrote:The "class 4" is solid (and not very hard) class 3

Couldn't agree more.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)