Going to school in upstate NY, what should i expect?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
anita

Re: Going to school in upstate NY, what should i expect?

by anita » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Catamount wrote:I have a layering "system" that is basically a mish-mash of tech-wick, fleece, gortex and down. Not really sure it's possible to be entirely comfortable. If someone else has it all figured out, let us know. Also, I always pack some extra dry base layers. YMMV.

soft shells jacket/pants for me + layers. usually different wool layers, down, synthetic (DAS parka/Atom LT hoody). but this is for ice climbing where you're standing around freezing your ass off most of the time. I tend to wear about 5-6 layers on top + long johns/soft shell pants on bottom. but I run cold, so...
also always carry an extra pair of gloves inside my layers against my chest to keep them warm.

I haven't worn a hard shell in years in winter. I did wear it in June when it was raining every freaking weekend.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 pm

kylenicolls wrote:Oh and fewer mosquitos, I found, than the NW. I haven't really had a bug issue significant enough to put on DEET yet.

Mosquitoes are not the issue. They are trivial compared to black flies. In the later months of the summer, when it is drier, all bugs are in remittance.

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:25 am

Sorry for more questions but what time of year can I expect ice to start forming up? Ice is something I have little experience with and I'm really, really, really excited to start getting seriously into it. How long do I have to wait?

anita

by anita » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:34 am

nov-dec.
stuff in huntington ravine (new hampshire) comes in as early as october some years, though it is thin.
if we're lucky, by december there should be some good ice to climb. I've climbed at cascade pass (ny) 3rd week of november, and ice was decent.
start checking neice.com by october-ish for updates...

BoulderTraveler

by BoulderTraveler » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:04 pm

As a Rensselaer Outing Clubber in the 1970s, we ice climbed at Pokomoonshine.

And on Chapel Pond slab.

And Central Gully

The following user would like to thank BoulderTraveler for this post
anita, John Duffield, Luc

anita

by anita » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Pokeomoonshine Waterfall

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 am

It's ON and the stoke meter is at an all time high! I'm flying up tonight, backpacking for three days then getting educated! WOOHOO! Can't wait for snow so I can become an ICE NINJA!

On a separate and unrelated note: does anyone know the current supported and unsupported speed record for the 46 high peaks?

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Catamount wrote:
climberslacker wrote:On a separate and unrelated note: does anyone know the current supported and unsupported speed record for the 46 high peaks?

Noooooooo! Don't do it.

Cave Dog had the record for awhile at a little under 4 days but I think someone topped that a year or two ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/10/sports/outdoors-he-s-a-speed-marathon-climber-they-call-him-cave-dog.html

Ultimately, nobody gives a flying crap. And the mountains care even less. The hyper-competitiveness of peakbagging has gotten so out of hand in the last decade that I just kind of tune out to it at this point. :roll:

Honestly, I would never think about doing a supported attempt. I was just curious what it was because SLU has a thing where they try to get someone on every peak in one weekend. I thought it could be cool to do them all in a weekend. Way too much effort though. Probably will never try an unsupported attempt either. But you always have to be coming up with new ways of entertaining yourself, you know?

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Catamount wrote:
climberslacker wrote:On a separate and unrelated note: does anyone know the current supported and unsupported speed record for the 46 high peaks?

Noooooooo! Don't do it.

Cave Dog had the record for awhile at a little under 4 days but I think someone topped that a year or two ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/10/sports/outdoors-he-s-a-speed-marathon-climber-they-call-him-cave-dog.html

Ultimately, nobody gives a flying crap. And the mountains care even less. The hyper-competitiveness of peakbagging has gotten so out of hand in the last decade that I just kind of tune out to it at this point. :roll:

+1. Speed record attempts don't allow for any appreciation of what is a fantastic outdoor experience. Take some time and enjoy the scenery. It's incredible!

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 pm

climberslacker

If you have an open mind, you will love upstate New York.

I was a "California Boy" and got transferred to upstate New York in 1998 (Rochester). I cried for 2 weeks at the thought of moving to NY. But upstate NY is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

There is a lot of ice climbing in the winter, and the Adirondacks are beautiful in their own way.

I got into whitewater kayaking - and NY is known as the "whitewater state." If you're not into kaykaking now, you should consider trying the sport in NY. The Great Lakes are also great for sea kayaking.

There is also a lot of powder/tree skiing if you know where to look.

Have a great time!

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)