Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

2013 Sierra Challenge Aug 16-25

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Re: 2013 Sierra Challenge Aug 16-25

Postby seano » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:58 am

As usual, I'll be blogging this under the "Sierra Challenge" category.
seano

Postby Bob Burd » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:59 am

Day 1 - Crown Point

We had 20-some folk at the Twin Lakes TH today. 4 were heading Matterhorn (all made it to the summit), the rest to Crown Point near the Sierra Crest above Peeler Lake. Pat and Jonathan were the first to the summit in 3h45m via Peeler Lake, others taking somewhat longer. The north and east sides of the peak proved challenging, but taxing and more roundabout. Sean and Eric managed Cirque Mtn as a bonus peak (not to be confused with Cirque Peak in the southern part of the range). I don't think anyone else managed bonus peaks today - I had hoped to get to Slide Mtn, but it looked formidable with a 1000-foot drop to a saddle with a 900-foot climb back up to Slide. Just wasn't feeling it today, I guess.

Beautiful weather, a few clouds to help keep things cooler than they otherwise would have been. About 9 participants returned in the two hours I was at the TH before leaving. We probably got at least a dozen to the summit of Crown Point.

Tomorrow we'll be at Rock Creek to climb Twelve Flags, Broken Finger, and Adamson, all near Mt. Morgan South. Off to the Whoa Nelli!
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby boyblue » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:13 am

Bob Burd wrote:Tomorrow we'll be at Rock Creek to climb Twelve Flags...

Tomorrow we'll be at Six Flags in Vallejo... suffering lines, crowds, heat, overpriced food and beer. I'll be thinking with envy of all of you out there in the mountains. :)

Gonna try my best to participate in the SC for at least one day next year... If I don't, my punishment will be to take my family to (shudder) Disneyland, so flaking out is not an option! :D
boyblue

Postby toxo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:58 am

Guess we'll have to wait until darkness falls and light up a Burd signal.
toxo

Postby Bob Burd » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:07 am

Bob got his butt kicked today on what was supposed to be an easy day. I have no energy to write much, so I'll just say that Sean and Eric continue to be unreal animals, Jonathan, Pat and Luke proved far more clever than I today. Off to bed. I have to get up at 3am. Ugh. Long outing to Black Divide over Echo Col. This is one of the expected butt-kickers.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby toxo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:25 am

Great, our first meeting EVAR is going to be at 4 fucking am when my powers are at their lowest.

txt me if you can't sleep just yet.
toxo

Postby ScottHanson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Armchair observation from the sideline: this young Eric must be a tough hombre if can keep up with Sean. I am enjoying reading both Bob's and Sean's daily reports, but would much prefer joining in the action. It looks like a large group of folks signed up, but from my past 8 SC's experience you never no exactly how many people will show up at 6am and what training has been done in preparation. Good luck to everyone from the old guy in the northwest corner of the U.S.
Scott
ScottHanson

The following user would like to thank ScottHanson for this post
carolena

Postby toxo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 am

Lol, Bob did not recognize me at the TH this morning. His excuse was that he did not expect me to actually show up at 4 am. Then he asked if it's OK to hug me... and did!

I hope the main group is OK. Lightning struck in that general direction several times today.
toxo

Postby Turtleggjp » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:42 am

I almost got hit by lightning today too, and I was coming around Lake Sabrina! It hit on the other side of the lake just after 4PM. Definitely not a good day for such a demanding hike. I hope they're all ok too.

Matt
Turtleggjp

Postby WyomingSummits » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 am

Bob Burd wrote:Bob got his butt kicked today on what was supposed to be an easy day. I have no energy to write much, so I'll just say that Sean and Eric continue to be unreal animals, Jonathan, Pat and Luke proved far more clever than I today. Off to bed. I have to get up at 3am. Ugh. Long outing to Black Divide over Echo Col. This is one of the expected butt-kickers.

Oh my......is vacation making you tired? :)
WyomingSummits

Postby Vitaliy M. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:18 am

toxo wrote:Lol, Bob did not recognize me at the TH this morning. His excuse was that he did not expect me to actually show up at 4 am. Then he asked if it's OK to hug me... and did!

I hope the main group is OK. Lightning struck in that general direction several times today.

Toxo participated in a Sierra Challenge outing??? Pics or GTFO! :lol:
Vitaliy M.

Postby Bob Burd » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:00 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:Toxo participated in a Sierra Challenge outing??? Pics or GTFO! :lol:

She did indeed. DNF'd though. Too bad, she'll be hecka jealous of today's summit photo.

Black Divide proved as difficult an outing as expected. It took four of us 8hrs just to reach the summit. Another 7hrs coming back. Ugh. Little time again for a second day in a row. This is not doing well for my needed beauty sleep. Jonathan, myself, Pat and Daria were together most of the day. Sean and Eric tore it up once again. They got to the summit almost an hour before us, and that was after visiting Black Giant first. Since that wasn't enough, they carried on to McDuffie and still got back to the TH before the rest of us. Sean might have dislocated or broken a finger in the effort. It wasn't looking too good when we saw it back at the TH. Michael Graupe and Tom Grundy also made it to Black Divide for a total of 8 for what was undoubtedly one of the toughest Challenge days ever.

There was something like 20 folks at the Sabrina TH and other half dozen at South Lake with a bunch of other peaks getting climbed including Thompson, Powell, Clyde Spires, Wallace, Haeckel and Picture Peak. The weather was an issue, but not a big one. I think there was more rain and lightning in Bishop than in the hills. There at least three fires burning in the foothills. Unfortunately I'm running late once again and need to sleep. Sorry for the short summary...
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Postby Marmaduke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:31 am

toxo wrote:Lol, Bob did not recognize me at the TH this morning. His excuse was that he did not expect me to actually show up at 4 am. Then he asked if it's OK to hug me... and did!

How about Daria and Toxo? Photos, hugs?
Marmaduke

Postby Vitaliy M. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 am

God, what a lame summary, sleep is over-rated! Post that photo from the summit!
Vitaliy M.

Postby Bob Burd » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:29 pm

3Deserts wrote:Hey, whoa, stop the presses: what the hell is THAT and why haven't I heard of it and why is there like zero information on this?

We wondered the same thing, but the register had half a dozen enties from from folks doing technical climbs. The most prominent appears to be: NE Ridge 5.8 II, FA Dingus Milktoast & Brutus of Wyde.
Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
Princess Buttercup

PreviousNext

Return to California