Alois, Tahquitz really temporarily closed?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Burchey

Alois, Tahquitz really temporarily closed?

by Burchey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

For those of us that would like to climb - can you confirm the climbing is a no-go for a few weeks? I can't get a straight answer so far. Danke.

norco17

Re: Alois, Tahquitz really temporarily closed?

by norco17 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:57 pm

My new job has me setting up fire camps. Was talking to a riverside city fireman at the mountain fire camp and he figures closure will be in affect for the rest of the season, but this is coming from someone with no authority on the subject.

What I know for a fact is
-Humber park was closed 2 days ago
-fire started at 243/74
-the fire burnt the area south of the ridge between tahquitz and red tahquitz then looped east of red tahquitz into tahquitz valley, skunk cabbage meadow, and laws camp area
-saddle junction did not burn and the fire stopped around wellmans divide/hidden lake divide

- the area around tahquitz rock did not burn

The following user would like to thank norco17 for this post
Burchey

Burchey

by Burchey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 pm

From ST (Thanks Alois):

Every trail head from Black Mountain to Ernie Maxwell Trail is cordoned off with tape and warnings about fines are posted. The closure includes Marion Mountain trail, Fuller ridge trail, Deer springs trail, Devil's slide trail, all access to Tahquitz and Suicide, South ridge trail as well. Humber Park is completely cordoned off with orange cone and closure signs.

In fact all of the San Jacinto mountains are closed to hiking.

Have not a clue how long this will stay in effect. My guess is, the authorities will take their sweet time.

norco17

by norco17 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Burchey wrote:From ST (Thanks Alois):
My guess is, the authorities will take their sweet time.

yeah

asmrz

by asmrz » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:10 am

Well what's to say about this...

We are bummed, no place to go to keep in shape. Pen suggested we switch to running on pavement around town and that's what we will do.

Considering how touchy some local people are about the subject, my feeling is that Tahquitz and Suicide both will be closed for considerable time. Who knows, they both might stay closed till winter. Some friends who live in LA keep saying that closure of several months is entirely possible and probable considering how long the Station Fire area in San Gabriels was closed. So guys and ladies, find yourselves some cragging alternatives.

If/when anything changes, I will post here.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Burchey

Deb

by Deb » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Soooo sad! :(

Burchey

by Burchey » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Thanks Alois, running on pavement is the worst, but sometimes you have to make do. I've got my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

x15x15

by x15x15 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I can't do the pavement... guess its time to go run the Ramona trail to Thomas mountain...

no avatar
2600fromatari

by 2600fromatari » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:53 pm

Tahquitz is still closed, but it looks like Suicide Rock is open. For the hikers, the West side of San Jacinto is open to the summit.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 430238.pdf

The following user would like to thank 2600fromatari for this post
Burchey, norco17

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Pen and I hiked to Suicide via Deer Springs trail yesterday early morning. You cannot see any damage in the alpine cirque between Tahquitz and Suicide, that's the good news. The bad, Tahquitz is still closed.

Humber Park is closed before you get to the Suicide TH.

Suicide is only open via Deer Springs Trail which is 3.5 miles OW and ends on summit of Suicide. One can easily downclimb the left (facing down) side to the base. Some people were actually hiking to Suicide (to climb) when we were returning.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Burchey

no avatar
uwe

by uwe » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:29 am

Both Tahquitz and Suicide Rock are open to both hiking and climbing, I specifically asked today (Sunday 08/18/2013) at the Forest Service Station. However there are still quite a few closed trails, both South and North of Idyllwild, so make sure whatever you want to do is one of the open approaches. Suicide Rock via Deer Springs Trail is open, and also Tahquitz via Devil's Slide Trail and also South Ridge Trail are open. I hiked this morning to the top of Suicide Rock and could not see any recent fire damage looking over Tahquitz.

Return to California