Got an invitation to do caving in Canmore

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
RyanHall

Got an invitation to do caving in Canmore

by RyanHall » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 am

Hi Friends,

Recently I got an invitation to do vertical caving with ropes/harnesses. But I am no so clear about rock climbing or canyoneering. Is there a way to get started and learn harness work really quickly? Are the procedures of vertical caving and rock climbing the same? I have done a mountaineering training from Alberta. Will that has something to do with this?

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Got an invitation to do caving in Canmore

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:04 pm

Greetings,

I am a climber and a caver. I have climbed big walls (El Cap) and also have a lot of vertical caving experience.

There are significant differences between caving and climbing in the way vertical work is handled. The ropes, harnesses and hardware are all completely different. You could use climbing gear for caving (or vice versa) but you would lose a lot of efficiency either way.

There are also some notable differences between cavers and climbers in regards to environmental attitudes and practices.

I suggest that you contact the Alberta Speleological Society for guidance and training:

http://www.caving.ab.ca/

Some generalities of the notable differences between caving and climbing:

Climbing harness have a high suspension point to help prevent the climber from flipping over backwards in a fall. Caving harnesses have a very low suspension point so as to improve rope climbing efficiency.

Climbers use dynamic ropes. Cavers use static ropes.

Cavers tend to be more fanatical than climbers when it comes to Leave No Trace ethics. Act like a climber in a cave, and you will likely make enemies and not be invited to return.

Here is a photo me ascending out of a cave:
Photo by Brian Masney with permission

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Greetings,

I am a climber and a caver. I have climbed big walls (El Cap) and also have a lot of vertical caving experience.

There are significant differences between caving and climbing in the way vertical work is handled. The ropes, harnesses and hardware are all completely different. You could use climbing gear for caving (or vice versa) but you would lose a lot of efficiency either way.

There are also some notable differences between cavers and climbers in regards to environmental attitudes and practices.

I suggest that you contact the Alberta Speleological Society for guidance and training:

Climbing harness have a high suspension point to help prevent the climber from flipping over backwards in a fall. Caving harnesses have a very low suspension point so as to improve rope climbing efficiency.

Cavers tend to be more fanatical than climbers when it comes to Leave No Trace ethics. Act like a climber in a cave, and you will likely make enemies and not be invited to return.

SLR, what cave is this? We've been going to a few around here, and are thinking of doing Great Expectations soon. That's one sweet entry and exit!

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 am

The above photo is from TAG country (Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia).

Great X is a serious commitment. Doing a through trip? Which way?

Hope yer skinny. (:

The following user would like to thank Sierra Ledge Rat for this post
WyomingSummits

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:09 am

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:The above photo is from TAG country (Tennessee-Alabama-Georgia).

Great X is a serious commitment. Doing a through trip? Which way?

Hope yer skinny. (:

Going to try a through trip. We hit Tres Charros in that general area/drainage back last fall. Bat Veil falls was a pretty sweet rappel and ascend. I'm 6-3 198.....hope that's skinny enough. :) But yeah, the "Grim crawl of death" sounds a wee bit....um.....grim! :)

no avatar
tsoren

by tsoren » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 am

RyanHall wrote:Hi Friends,

Recently I got an invitation to do vertical caving with ropes/harnesses. But I am no so clear about rock climbing or canyoneering. Is there a way to get started and learn harness work really quickly? Are the procedures of vertical caving and rock climbing the same? I have done a mountaineering training from Alberta. Will that has something to do with this?

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Greetings,

Hey Ryan,

So did your finally try going for the caving? And great post Sierra Ledge Rat. Couldn't have explained it better. Great pic by the way. Haven't had the chance to try caving yet. Someday perhaps.

Return to Canada and Alaska