Grinding up old sticky rubber

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

Grinding up old sticky rubber

by MoapaPk » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:24 pm

I bought one of those stealth rubber climbing shoe repair kits, which basically have a large supply of finely ground stealth rubber, and far too little barge cement.

Recently I used the sticky rubber powder, and mixed it with urethane glue, to put on top of urethane-glue repairs. It seems really strong, and has shown no signs of breaking on repairs. The urethane-sticky rubber mix is definitely more grippy than pure urethane. I've used this on approach shoes, to replace lugs or repair the instep.

I have lots of marginal shoes with worn-down sticky-rubber soles.

I wonder if I might grind the soles to provide a similar sticky-rubber powder for repairs? Any ideas for the best way to accomplish said grinding?

JHH60

Re: Grinding up old sticky rubber

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:44 am

Are you using Aquaseal or Seam Grip as the urethane glue? I bought a Stealth kit to fill in some wear spots on the rands of climbing shoes, but the default cement peeled off very quickly. I can't claim to be a satisfied customer of the kit. Urethane + ground rubber sounds like a better option.

I'd guess that a food grater/rasp, like you might use for nutmeg or Parmesan cheese, would work well for making ground sticky rubber.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
MoapaPk

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:05 pm

That might do -- I have rasps for woodworking. I'll try one on a defunct shoe.

I'm using seamgrip.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Let me know how it works out. Now that you've made me curious I may experiment on the soles of an old pair of shoes myself with some rasps and a Dremel tool and see if I can produce rubber powder, and if so will pass it on... :)

pvnisher

by pvnisher » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:20 am

Im considering smearing some of that on my old birkenstocks. Those things are slicker`n snot after 12 years. You guys ever put climbing rubber on anything other than rock shoes?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:31 pm

pvnisher wrote:Im considering smearing some of that on my old birkenstocks. Those things are slicker`n snot after 12 years. You guys ever put climbing rubber on anything other than rock shoes?

I actually got the stealth kit to coat the tips of gloves. I'm used to having my fingers uncovered, and there was one section of low class 5 rock friction slab on the way to a summit. The day for the climb was predicted to be windy with a high of 25F.

So I bought a pair of insulated worker gloves, that were a little tight, and coated the palm-side fingertips with the barge-sticky rubber mix. That one time, they were excellent -- far grippier than my skin, even in warmer weather.

I'm now rebuilding some trail-running and approach shoes with the urethane-sticky rubber mix. I start out the repair with pure urethane, and gradually increase the proportion of sticky rubber as I move out. We'll see how it works.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:32 am

Trail-ran a rough 6.5 miles in the repaired shoes -- the soles held up, no signs of coming apart. The last coat had a lot of sticky rubber mixed in, and probably wasn't mixed well, so the sole eroded a bit there. I built up close to 0.5" in one place, and that shows no sign of coming loose. Update: added another 8 miles -- no signs of patch coming loose.

Return to Gear