Missing climber on Peak Pobeda (Kyrgyzstan/China)

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Bill562

Missing climber on Peak Pobeda (Kyrgyzstan/China)

by Bill562 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Vladimir Petlitsky was last seen in snow caves at 5800 on August 7th. He has a lot of high altitude experience and had plenty of food and fuel. He was planning to wait out the forecasted storm. Weather conditions have been brutal this season in the Tien Shan, no one made the summit of Pobeda. His son is making serious efforts to fly up to 5800 in a chopper before the base camp folds up for the season on 9/1. He is looking for any information about his father he can find.

The source/picture is here:

http://www.risk.ru/users/wesst2534/199451/

Please pass this info on

Cheers
Bill

kevin trieu

Re: Missing climber on Peak Pobeda (Kyrgyzstan/China)

by kevin trieu » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:17 pm

I talked to three guys, two Russians and one Ukrainian at camp 1 when first arrived to climb Khan Tengri. They had made the summit and were on their way to Pobeda. Unfortunately I don't know if this is one of the Russians and don't have anymore useful information. They looked and sounded like they were ready for Pobeda. Yes, the weather was pretty nasty on that range. I think we had about two good days to move out of the two weeks that we were there.

Bill562

Re: Missing climber on Peak Pobeda (Kyrgyzstan/China)

by Bill562 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 pm

Vladimir climbed Khan prior to starting up Pobeda, so he was likely one of the guys you spoke with. I don't know why he was alone on Pobeda though.

BTW - seems like you are enjoying Turkey, I am jealous - I didn't even get out of the airport, only had a few hours.

Return to News