Some info on CO flood effects on climbing access

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
AlexeyD

Some info on CO flood effects on climbing access

by AlexeyD » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:09 am

For anyone with climbing plans in the CO Front Range, I thought it might be a good idea to let folks know how the recent flooding has affected access. So, to the best of my knowledge, and as of right now (9/16) here it goes:

-Boulder Canyon is totally inaccessible. Highway 119 (Canyon Blvd) has been obliterated by a massive landslide in the canyon, and will likely remain closed for quite some time.

-Eldorado Canyon access is problematic due to a washed-out bridge along Eldorado Springs Drive. You might be able to get there by hiking along the Mesa Trail, but major erosion has probably taken place there too, so better give it some time.

-All of Rocky Mountain National Park, including Lumpy Ridge, is inaccessible due to destroyed bridges on routes 34, 36, 7 and elsewhere. From what I hear Estes Park is in pretty bad shape and will take some time to recover from the damage. The only way to get in by land is over the CD via Trail Ridge Road...a VERY long detour. Best to give the park and town some time.

-Not sure about the status of Clear Creek...CODOT does not currently list any closures for US 6 in that area, but I recall hearing that there was damage to that road as well. Probably a good idea to inquire more if you have plans in that area.

-Road access to the Flatirons has not been affected, but the city-managed park and trail system (Boulder Open Space) is closed indefinitely as of now. I don't know what shape the trails are in after all that rain, but my guess is they will require significant maintenance before the city reopens them.

-Poudre Canyon is inaccessible due to Hwy 14 being closed indefinitely

That's about all I can think of...bottom line, if you have climbing, hiking or other outdoor plans for the CO Front Range and adjacent areas in the next few weeks, you may want to reconsider.

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
Bill Reed, Bob Sihler, Fletch, seano

AndyJB444

Re: Some info on CO flood effects on climbing access

by AndyJB444 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Clear Creek/6 is open, but I did see that the road to 40 was closed on the west end (around where you get on to 70).

The following user would like to thank AndyJB444 for this post
AlexeyD

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Front page of the Seattle Times had a headline that read 800 missing in Boulder. It's like Bangladesh there.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

ExcitableBoy wrote:Front page of the Seattle Times had a headline that read 800 missing in Boulder. It's like Bangladesh there.

Thankfully not quite. To be sure, some neighborhoods, especially ones near creeks, were hit very hard, but if you were to drive through Boulder right now, you'd see a pretty functioning city, the only unusual sight being the large amount of mud and debris in the streets. Also, thankfully many of the people previously unaccounted for have been found safe, and with the nice, dry weather that's arrived, more will hopefully be located soon. So far the death toll across the state is 8. So...not to downplay the magnitude of what has happened (and there is no doubt that many people's lives were impacted), but it's far from Bangladesh, or Katrina, or even Sandy.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for putting this in perspective. The evening news seems to show the worst images. In 2001 I was working in Pioneer Square in downtown Seattle during the big earthquake. A building across the street had its brick facade collapse and land on a car. Virtually the only damage in the city. On the national news that one image was played over and over.

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Forgot to mention: in addition to the previously-mentioned access problems, both Rocky Mountain National Park and Eldorado Canyon State Park are closed to all visitor use until further notice.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 pm

Does anyone know if access to the Indian Peaks at Brainard Lake has been affected? My wife and I were planning a trip out there for Columbus Day Weekend.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:Does anyone know if access to the Indian Peaks at Brainard Lake has been affected? My wife and I were planning a trip out there for Columbus Day Weekend.

You can still get there via US 6, 119 and 72 from Golden. However, it might be a good idea to call the Arapahoe NF ranger station about trail conditions before you had out, as mudslides and other erosion may have taken place. Info here

Bob Sihler

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Most of boulder canyon is cleaned up, I've done scaling on the worst land slide at magnolia rd, the fence has been fixed and the national guard/CDOT has been cleaning up my mess.
Golden gate canyon has also been reopened to gain access to parts of coal creek canyon.
I've not gotten the task order for poudre or Thompson canyons, they are still obliterated. Contracts to reopen have been issued to excellent companies mainly Kiewit for BTC. Travel should be available within the next 4-6 weeks in most canyons

The following user would like to thank DudeThatMustHurt for this post
AlexeyD, Tonka

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:50 pm

AlexeyD wrote:
Bob Sihler wrote:Does anyone know if access to the Indian Peaks at Brainard Lake has been affected? My wife and I were planning a trip out there for Columbus Day Weekend.

You can still get there via US 6, 119 and 72 from Golden. However, it might be a good idea to call the Arapahoe NF ranger station about trail conditions before you had out, as mudslides and other erosion may have taken place. Info here

72 is not open to my knowledge

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:07 pm

DudeThatMustHurt wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:

72 is not open to my knowledge

I guess my post was a bit confusing...what I meant was that the only was to get to the Indian Peaks area is via a combination of 6, 119 and 72. You're right that 72 is still closed through Coal Creek Canyon, but the portion of it that access Nederland - and, by extension, the Indian Peaks - appears to be open according to this map.

DudeThatMustHurt

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:54 pm

On Thursday, 9/26, RMNP announced that 93% of the Park is open, exceptions being noted in this release. http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/flood_alert.htm

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Some more updates and info (as of 9/26): http://www.climbing.com/news/progress-f ... -colorado/

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:26 am

Was right about 2 hours from Denver to Estes park for anyone thinking of the drive

Next

Return to Colorado