Choosing downhill gait

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
ScottHanson

Choosing downhill gait

by ScottHanson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:41 am

Gait is the manner of moving on foot. My question is what is the most efficient and least injury prone mode of movement downhill? My assumption is you are on a trail or easy cross country (class 2) travel where neither roots nor bothersome rocks nor extreme steepness create a concern toward a serious fall. So heart and lungs are under less stress than going uphill, but general balance (staying upright) could be at least a mild concern. If you had three choices of travel (walk, shuffle, or run) what would be your choice? During my hiking or climbing for the last five years (age 58 to age 63) I have been walking more and more of the time downhill. Probably general balance is a leading reason to walk more. However, this summer coming back from a knee pain issue I have switched to more of a shuffle or modest running downhill. I now believe this faster movement is easier on the body (knees) by having quads in a flexed position (they are taking weight off your bones). Also you get from point A to point B quicker. So, what is your choice of downhill movement? And why?

radson

Re: Choosing downhill gait

by radson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:33 am

A bit of a segue to your answer as for me totally depends on terrain and my level of fatigue but absolutely some of the most fun I have ever had in mountains is slipping and sliding while running down scree slopes with a single trekking pole as a balancing aid.

lisae

by lisae » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:21 am

I hate going downhill these days. I have a bunion that only hurts on steep descents. Also, I have two artifical hips, one of which is the direct result from an injury I sustained after falling on some steep scree. I can't run as it is high impact. I walk but tend to whimper when my bunion hurts. I am looking into having some custom hiking boots made - anything to avoid surgery.

aglane

by aglane » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Tore some of an mcl a few years ago, which still talks to me, and badly twisted the other knee in a descending fall last year, more talk. So I walk. But doing something approaching a minimal waddle speeds it up some, wider stance, weight distribution partly side to side as well as downward. Relieves the knees, and with a pair of poles they bear up pretty well.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 pm

What's with all these people with injuries and artheritis? What are you going to do when you are my age?

I am generally opposed to fighting gravity; the more you can safely use it, the less energy you use. With that in mind, I usually keep up a good pace downhill, but avoid running; control is important, especially in the woods. Scree surfing is fun, but there isn't that kind of scree where I mostly hike.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Good post, Matt. I know what you mean about the "good" kind of tired that you feel after swimming. Fortunately, hiking leaves only my feet hurting. An hour or so later, on the drive home, my legs will be very stiff when I get out of the car and walk. Before long, though, I'm good to go again - on hiking trips, I usually hike every day. Swimming is just too much of an exercise for me - I'd get too bored to keep it up regularly. Bicycle riding isn't much better.

lisae

by lisae » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:What are you going to do when you are my age?

More yoga?

I am 60, getting close to 61. Other than the bunion, hiking feels good to me, provided I stretch afterwards. Climbing feels good as long as I don't try and push the grade. My arthritic fingers don't like it. I know a lot of people my age who hike and climb, without problems. Swimming has been recommended to me as it doesn't hammer your joints. Problem is that it is too boring. I don't know what I'll do when I don't enjoy hiking/climbing.

no avatar
jdenyes

by jdenyes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Come to swissland, the plus 70+ folks will blast by you whilst smoking a pipe and wearing traditional gear :-D, I always check out the shoes before I offer anyone a seat on the tram or the bus. :-).

The following user would like to thank jdenyes for this post
lisae

Tonka

by Tonka » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:35 am

I am generally opposed to fighting gravity; the more you can safely use it, the less energy you use.

I agree with Buz here. I very rarely would run but depending on terrain, physical condition and weather I go with gravity up to what someone called a "shuffle" but won't run. I'm also not shuffling when on low verticle or flat terrain, I just use a quick pace.

I'm lucky that I have no knee or hip issues at this point that's for sure.

Ze

by Ze » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:52 am

The best choices are the ones that don't hurt.

Generally, smaller steps will be better as this will reduce impact forces and also reduce knee flexion angles. The energetic cost is higher however.

"Not fighting gravity" method lowers energetic cost, but not a good idea if you already have issues that will only be exacerbated.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Not fighting gravity can still allow for small steps.

Ze

by Ze » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:05 pm

But still higher impact forces.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm

OK, you win! You're the winner!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRWlnv0_svU[/youtube]

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:46 am

Ze,
Interesting point on reducing knee flexion angles.
Occasionally I find myself in a large boulder field. The boulders are irregular shapes, say 3 feet, 5 feet or more on any one side. I find myself hopping between boulders, which can be a high risk endeavor. You can fall between two large boulders or hyper-extend your knee when you land on the next boulder. Maybe I am too straight-legged when I perform this task?

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful answers.

Scott

Next

Return to General