Profile Themes for SP Version 4

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Brian Jenkins

Alphabetical Entries

by Brian Jenkins » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Just came back from a week of climbing and see entries on our profile pages are now alphabetical. Tried to find a thread about this but don't see anything. Can someone point me to the notice about this or (more importantly) let me know how I can change it back. To me, seeing my entries of summits and mountain pages alphabetically is almost useless as I refer back to them by when I did them. Now I can't tell what summits I did in a certain time frame and I'd like to change my profile back if possible. Thanks for any help!

The following user would like to thank Brian Jenkins for this post
Matt Lemke

mrchad9

Re: Alphabetical Entries

by mrchad9 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Looks like it has been changed back already.

The air seems cleaner now somehow!

Fred Spicker

Re: Profile Themes for SP Version 4

by Fred Spicker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Now is is back to the jumbled mess it was before.

How about making it an option?

The following user would like to thank Fred Spicker for this post
Bob Sihler

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:40 am

Refer to this post to see how it was proposed: post937524.html#p937524

Hopefully in the future we figure out some sort of preferences.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
Jimbopo

no avatar
Jimbopo

by Jimbopo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:40 am

Bob Sihler wrote:A nice solution would be to have people be able to choose, maybe even by section. This would apply not just to your own profile but to others' as well. For example, Matt Lemke can choose to have his own pages listed chronologically when he views them while I can click so that I can see them sorted alphabetically. Either way, the user sees them how he wants to, not how someone else wants him to. It's like the sorting options with search results.

That actually sounds very fair. I hope there's some collaboration to put this into motion. Solo work/ one sided opinions (even mine) don't get far. Thanks for affirming that Bob.

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:55 am

Thanks for switching back to the old way, but I have no problem with making it optional.

The following user would like to thank Marcsoltan for this post
lcarreau, Matt Lemke

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:33 am

mrchad9 wrote:
The air seems cleaner now somehow!

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Coming up within the next 3 months or so is the planned release of SummitPost Version 4. I plan on making another thread sometime down the road regarding other changes. So with that in mind, the idea of profile themes is on the consideration list. If implemented, it would allow the user to select the theme (template styling) of their profile. The profile is the most personal part of the site hence what I believe has the right to have it's own unique look and feel. Profile themes would not effect the rest of the site. 8)

Right now there are three themes. Simple, Semi Styled, and Dark.

Plain is pretty much the same as it currently is as seen here:

Semi Styled has some Styling additions to it to make it not too styled but has some elements that make the content pop out better:

And finally the dark theme:

In the screen shot above, the dark theme has a blue color (gradient) on hover which makes it easier readable and it looks nice. :) Another advantage to the dark theme is that it strives for style and simplicity. Notice how the links don't feel overwhelming? (or at least feels like less clutter than the original) But again, I understand people's desire for simple styling which is why I believe people should have the freedom to choose.

So in this thread feel free to voice your opinion regarding this. We want to hear what other think of this, whether it be suggestions, likes, dislikes, ect.

To at least some of us, the site is about the content rather than the presentation. I could care less, but knock yourself out, as long as it doesn't get in the way of something that really is important.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
Bob Sihler

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:34 pm

To that point... I'd say if something can be done to make loading images easier or setting up content that should be higher up on the list than themes or styles.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Matt Lemke

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Chad, I didn't post this thread because of some sort of belief of this being high up on the priority list. But because much of the work has already been done by me. :wink: In other words, of course there are other things that need focus now. But I wanted to hear from the community at large to see if this sort of thing was okay in the first place. This way I can save myself work if it wasn't.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
anita

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 pm

If doing work on this then I would suggest something like users having the option for the dark theme that applies only when on a mobile device, if they selected it. Otherwise I like #2 but without the mountain icons.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 am

As far as I understand, mobile themes would actually have to be a separate template. Now I could think of something clever perhaps. The problem is that I don't own a mobile phone which makes it difficult to know what the final product is. :wink: As you may know, tweaking is almost always needed after the code appears good. But I suppose I can look into it after everything is all set.

Regarding the mountain icons, that's just my style (the styling I had it last, not necessarily to be in the main template). 8) We plan to do away with all site icons and use icon fonts.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:28 pm

Having the option to have certain sections listed as chronological vs. alphabetical is a great idea. I agree with other posters in that some sections, (IE: log entires) need to stay chrono. But giving users that option just adds to the developing 'ease of use' & 'friendliness' of SP. It's not earth-shaking obviously, but it is a nice addition.

I like the dark version. Again, not monumental but all these little things do help 'modernize' SP. Especially when paired with all the page updates, re-writes, etc. the versatility and aesthetic changes I think will definitely help with SP's visibility on the 'Net.

Thanks, Matt, Bob & Josh!!

Previous

Return to Site Feedback