Shutdown Effects on RMNP and Indian Peaks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Shutdown Effects on RMNP and Indian Peaks

by Bob Sihler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:55 pm

I leave for CO this Friday and originally planned to spend the time on the east side of RMNP and the Indian Peaks, specifically from Bear Lake Road, Longs Peak TH, and Brainard Lake.

While I imagine that the entirety of Bear Lake Road is inaccessible, does anyone know about the Longs Peak TH and Brainard Lake? Are they gated so far from the trails that it isn't worth walking in? Is there even any parking near the gates?

Thanks for any feedback.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Senad Rizvanovic

Re: Shutdown Effects on RMNP and Indian Peaks

by Senad Rizvanovic » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:30 pm

Norris

by Norris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Bob, if you use Google street view to examine the intersection of CO 7 (aka South St Vrain Ave) and Long Peak's road, there is no gate at the start of the road up to the TH. Of course there could be one further up. People customarily park on the sides of this road in the summer when the parking lot at the top is full. The only question is whether there is a gate further up, and if so, how far up the road you would have to walk to access the trailhead. I tried to use Google street view to visually navigate up the road but couldn't do it, so it seems as if the Google street view camera cars have not been up there. I did notice a bunch of mailboxes at the start of the road, so there must be houses up this road, so I suspect that any gate would be reasonably far up the road.

The following user would like to thank Norris for this post
Bob Sihler

Norris

by Norris » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

It looks as if the worst case scenario would be about 400 ft of extra elevation gain, because Diamond View Drive off of Long's Reak road is at about 9160 and the trailhead is below 9400. I can't imagine there would be a gate before Diamond View Drive, since people live up there. Take a look at the area in Google maps terrain view.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Bob,
Norris is correct. There's a lot of second homes up there that pre-date the park boundaries. Longs/Twin Sisters were annexed a few years after 1915. There's also a music school up there. There is no permenent structure that would house a gate. So IF there's a gate, it's a portable wooden one. They do not collect fees at the Longs Peak Area. Though, I imagine the campground is closed w/the water shut off. There's plenty of parking along the side (downhill side) of the road like Norris said.
I think you'd be just fine parking on the side of the road if they have the parking lot proper closed.
I'd LOVE to join you but I'll be out of the country.

Hope the weather cooperates for you!!

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:57 pm

Bob,
How long will you be in Colorado? Might be nice to meet you sometime as I'm pretty close.

no avatar
mtnjim

by mtnjim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:55 am

With the RMNP closure, the main entrance gates are closed and you're correct that you won't get near Bear Lake or anywhere else that requires using the park roads.

Longs Peak parking area is closed and while it is possible to park lower down on the road and walk in, it will depend on whether the area is being patrolled when you're there. I doubt that they'd do more than just chase you out but the entrances I've been by have signs that will inform you of other possibilities.

Brainard road is closed at the entrance station. You can park in the large paved parking area just before there. It's about a 3 mile hike along the road to the trailheads or take the Waldrop trail through the woods.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Matt Lemke wrote:Bob,
How long will you be in Colorado? Might be nice to meet you sometime as I'm pretty close.

Friday night through Wednesday afternoon. My wife and I are staying in Nederland. Probably no mountaintops for me this time since my wife doesn't like to climb, but maybe we can still get together.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Matt Lemke

by Matt Lemke » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:17 am

Darn! I have to head up to Wyoming on Friday to start working on a new well. I'll miss you by one day!

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:07 pm

I just got home from the brainard lake area, the access is closed for the year which adds a few mile RT. we were beat down by vicious winds yesterday and last night, it dumped close to a foot of snow on us at 11,000' with 70mph winds. We were turned back today because the storms did not subside by 7am.
Weather permitting the hike to blue lakes was not terrible, some post holing but the upper peaks looked good, just violent winds

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:
Matt Lemke wrote:Bob,

Friday night through Wednesday afternoon. My wife and I are staying in Nederland. Probably no mountaintops for me this time since my wife doesn't like to climb, but maybe we can still get together.

I was just at wild mountain brewery, sucks I didn't know you were up here

Return to Colorado