Mt Shasta via Clear Creek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
eric.fides

Mt Shasta via Clear Creek

by eric.fides » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:18 pm

Looking to hike Mt Shasta via clear creek. I've read both route info by mrchad9 and bubba suess. I have a couple of questions:

1. I do not plan to walk on areas with snow so would it be okay to not bring crampons and ice axe?
2. To lighten my load for the summit I was thinking of leaving tent and nonessentials at my campsite at clear meadows. Should I just carry my stuff?
3. Any other tips or suggestions?

I'll be climbing this solo but hopefully I'll meet others on the trail!

mrchad9

Re: Mt Shasta via Clear Creek

by mrchad9 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:49 am

If you are in ok shape then you should be fine leaving your camping gear at the meadows. If you are not in ok shape then bring the gear will probably weigh you down so much you don't make it anyway!

Just remember how short the days are. This time of year I usually like to start a couple hours before first light, and plan on being ok to wrap it up in the dark too. So a good headlamp and ability to find camp in the dark if needed.

As far as crampons and ice ax, I really don't know. You should be able to tell when you are at the trailhead if it is light. Certainly from the meadows so you could at least take them to there. You can pretty much see to the summit plateau and if you see a route without them to there then I'm absolutely certain you can manage the last 300-400 feet that you can't see. But if you don't see a route near the top, that is probably the steepest part.

You may meet others... but I doubt it! Shasta is dramatically and undeservingly underclimbed this time of year.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
eric.fides

no avatar
WillyTheDog

by WillyTheDog » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm

I was thinking about going up there maybe Saturday or Sunday. Don't know when you're going but if you get back before I go, I'd appreciate it if you would let me know how it looks up there.Thanks

eric.fides

by eric.fides » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Canceled trip... Didn't feel too comfortable soloing it. Looks like I'll just climb it in June

Return to California