Becoming a Mountain Guide

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
AndyJB444

Re: Becoming a Mountain Guide

by AndyJB444 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Here's a little insight into what it takes just to make it as whats basically a mountain guide "intern" at RMI... http://www.backpacker.com/may-2011-beco ... 736?page=2

Soft skills and technical (ie. certs) skills both matter. Period. There are many different routes to gain and polish those skills.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:13 am

What really stinks is the self-promotion in an under-handed manner. bencanfly and benjamingorelick are one in the same, based on IP address. When the director of an organization has to pose as a potential client to drum up business ... you can fill in the rest.

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
aglane, Andrew Rankine, Damien Gildea, ioang, Kiefer, mrchad9, Woodie Hopper

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 am

Bob Burd wrote:... bencanfly and benjamingorelick are one in the same, based on IP address. ... you can fill in the rest.

Big surprise.

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:52 am

sjarelkwint wrote:Bob can you please delete his links and some of his info so he aint getting the profit out of this action in google search?

Maybe it's better this thread were left as is so anyone can see what this guy was up to?

Jukka Ahonen

by Jukka Ahonen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:50 am

It may be true that there is no such thing as bad publicity, but this sure does come close...

no avatar
rockyhill88

by rockyhill88 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:36 pm

You might be able to find some useful information here http://www.mountain-training.org/award-schemes

no avatar
benjamingorelick

by benjamingorelick » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Hi Damien and Bob
I would like to clarify to you and to all the other folks reading this post that 'bryncanfly' is not me. I have many happy and successful past students, I have no need to make one up.

What disturbs me about your posts is your abundant willingness to say very negative things about my program and about me personally without really knowing anything about it. I am happy for you to disagree with my philosophy and to question my approach. I am all for some open debate and this what this forum should be all about.

However your decision to put me down as a person and call me liar is baffling. This is not the sort of behavior I expect to see on a forum especially from a forum moderator. Bob surely your job is to prevent the forum degenerating into mud slinging and personal attacks certainly not to instigate them.

pvnisher

by pvnisher » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:01 pm

benjamingorelick wrote:Hi Damien and Bob
I would like to clarify to you and to all the other folks reading this post that 'bryncanfly' is not me. I have many happy and successful past students, I have no need to make one up.

Anytime you log onto a forum your IP address is logged. It is fairly easy to figure out, just type "IP address" into Google, and it will return your IP adress. Not exactly hacking.

benjamingorelick wrote:However your decision to put me down as a person and call me liar is baffling. This is not the sort of behavior I expect to see on a forum

You must be new to teh Interwebz. :roll:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 am

benjamingorelick wrote:Hi Damien and Bob

You and "bryn" previously posted from the exact same IP address, and not a known proxy server. Proof you are the same? No. But quite a coincidence, especially considering the empty profiles registered within two days of each other.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53 am

LOL

Burchey

by Burchey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:30 am

lulz

no avatar
ioang

by ioang » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:39 am

It seems kind of unrealistic to be able to become a guide in two years when it takes many years of experience to pass the most basic AMGA exams.

Previous

Return to General