Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

weekend

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Re: weekend

Postby Catamount » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:46 pm

Bark Eater wrote:I've been after Jim for a few years to get on SP. I forwarded your trip report to him. Here is his response: "Interesting report. I have yet to read one that makes this climb sound like fun. Yet it still intrigues me."

:lol:

Going to the Adirondacks is like playing in my backyard. If only every day could be a "highpointing" day ... :wink:
Catamount

Postby RDJim » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:46 pm

OK, so here I am. 6" of snow in my Baldwinsville, NY backyard. Family invading for Thanksgiving weekend so no kitchen pass for the day after Thanksgiving. :(

Bark Eater has yet to offer an endurance challenge that I could refuse. Lost Pond Peak in the winter? If I have to... if I have to.
RDJim

The following user would like to thank RDJim for this post
Bark Eater, Catamount

Postby Bark Eater » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm

RD Jim, welcome to SummitPost! Glad we finally convinced you to sign up. Lots of good folks here!

Now about a winter attempt on Lost Pond Peak...you guys might be doing that without me!
Bark Eater

Postby Catamount » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Welcome, Jim! If you're OK with Frank, you're OK with me.

If you have a day in mind for Lost Pond Peak, let me know. I would like to do it before the snow gets too deep up there ... early-to-mid December ideally. Fridays tend to work best for me but I could take a Sunday off if I had to. Saturdays are no good.
Catamount

Postby RDJim » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 am

Catamount wrote:If you have a day in mind for Lost Pond Peak, let me know. I would like to do it before the snow gets too deep up there ... early-to-mid December ideally. Fridays tend to work best for me but I could take a Sunday off if I had to. Saturdays are no good.

Mark, What do you suppose the logistics of this climb might be? In early morning and out by dark? I'm fairly flexible and with some notice I could do a Friday. Last trip Frank and I did was Seymour, I left home at 3AM and met him at the trail head by 07:30. So maybe the 6th or 13th?

Gearwise, snow shoes and microspikes are the extent of my winter wheels. I have an ice axe for looks but never used it. A machete might be more useful from what I've heard...lol.

Where's the NY Tech Valley? Malta?
RDJim

Postby Catamount » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Malta ... yes, that's where I work. Live a couple of exits south of there.

December 6th sounds good as long as the weather cooperates. If it is going to suck, we can delay until the 13th. I would think snowshoes for down low and up the Street/LPP drainage (depending on coverage) as long as we find it. The Dacks are really supposed to get nailed by this system coming in today so there should be plenty of snow. Once we are into the trees, I plan on bare-booting. First, post-holing is no issue from an etiquette standpoint since we will be making our own path and I also find that my big Atlas snowshoes slow me down when doing true bushwhacking. I will also carry crampons for up high in case I need them but don't really anticipate it.

On the trail between 6:30 and 7:00 AM would be ideal. All day hike. I will have a headlamp. :D
Catamount

Postby Catamount » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:24 pm

From what I can tell, it doesn't seem like the storm was a huge snow event. Snow coverage is probably going to still be pretty thin. I'm going to bring my snowshoes if I/we attempt LPP next week but might wind up leaving them in the truck.

NOAA snow depth chart for the Northeast ...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html
Catamount

Postby RDJim » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Funny how the "end of thanksgiving as we know it" snow storm just peetered out. We got 3 or 4 inches tops in B'ville. we'll have to gauge the situation real time but I'll come prepared with what I got.
RDJim

Postby Catamount » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:33 pm

So RDJim and I had a successful recon of Lost Pond Peak today. The drainage between Street and LPP is the way to go, IMO. Only problem is that daylight was our enemy. The route was going well but we still had about 1.5 miles of bushwhacking with 800 feet or so of elevation gain when we pulled the plug a little before noon. Based on our progress and the thickness of the woods, it would have taken at least two more hours to make the summit. With a 4:17 PM sunset, the math wasn't working. Not only will I return for a third try of LPP, but I will attempt the same route next time, except in summer months where there is enough daylight to not only reach the summit but linger once there.

Good meeting RDJim. Impressive guy.

That's my trip report.

I vote 7/10.
Catamount

The following user would like to thank Catamount for this post
Bark Eater, RDJim

Postby RDJim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:15 am

Long day, lots of driving but worth the effort. Glad to have a new partner for ADK adventures - I will also return for the peak photo opp. Stand by for a link to my videos and GPS data to see what really happened. Still picking pine twigs out of my underwear.

My Trip Report: http://www.summitpost.org/lost-pond-peak-recon/878839
RDJim

Catamount

Postby Catamount » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:59 am

Here is Jim's GPS data. Distance-wise, we were a little closer than I thought. Probably would have taken us no more than 1.5 hours from where we were to the summit.

Catamount

Bark Eater, LungFruit

Postby Bark Eater » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Glad Catamount and RDJIm got together. Here is RDJim's trip report:
http://www.summitpost.org/lost-pond-peak-recon/878839
Bark Eater

Postby RDJim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Here's an interesting article Catamont sent me written by George Marshall - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80092785/Lost%20Pond%20-%20Bob%20Marshall-1941.pdf
RDJim

Postby RDJim » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

There wasn't a lot of time to break out the camera so I put the few clips I got into a little video:
https://vimeo.com/81333465
RDJim

Catamount

Postby Catamount » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:35 pm

Nice job on the video. When we return on the summer solstice :wink: , I'll have to remember to get more video of you. "Lost Pond Peak: The Movie" coming to theaters soon. :)
Catamount

RDJim

PreviousNext

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)