PICO DE ORIZABA LOGISTICS

Find climbing partners in Mexico, Central America and Caribbean.
gotschall@fordham.edu

PICO DE ORIZABA LOGISTICS

by gotschall@fordham.edu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 pm

Questions regarding Pico de Orizaba:

1. How technical is the labyrinth and the Jamapa Glacier?

2. Are ropes absolutely necessary?

3. Assuming no altitude problems, is Mt. Whitney (overnight 30 degree ice/snow chute summit w/o guide), Jebel Toubkal (30 degree snow field ascent), Kilimanjaro, Quoyoritty (in Peru), etc. sufficient experience?

4. How difficult is Orizaba? Is it relatively straightforward?

5. How risky is it to attempt Orizaba without a guide?

6. How cheap can the trip be done if organized on your own? Do you recommend doing this? Thoughts?

I have a pretty good idea of my trip logistics, but I want some outside input regarding safety, technicality, pricing, and anything else you feel worthy of contribution. Thank you very much in advance! I look forward to your response.

Ryan

Woodie Hopper

Re: PICO DE ORIZABA LOGISTICS

by Woodie Hopper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:58 am

1. Not technical at all, but you need to know how to self-arrest in case conditions are icy and be comfortable using crampons.
2. In my opinion, not if you are good with the above.
3. Yes.
4. As straightforward as it gets for your basic 18.5k peak.
5. I think a guide isn't necessary assuming everyone in your party is fit, acclimatized and has reasonable ability as above.
6. Pretty cheap indeed sans a guide. The main costs would include airfare, gear, food and transportation (cheaper if you use public transportation).

I'm guiding some friends here again next January, good luck with your trip.

Woodie

One other thing: there are some good peaks in the area that are useful for acclimatizing. Of these I actually enjoyed hiking Izta more than Orizaba. Also Teotihuacan makes a great excursion for a rest day.

The following user would like to thank Woodie Hopper for this post
splattski

no avatar
splattski

by splattski » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:06 am

I agree with Woodie assuming you have good conditions. In good conditions, it's a straight-forward climb with easy navigation, little to no crevasse danger, and not technical.
But I would suggest that if it storms, or someone in your party gets hurt or affected by altitude, Orizaba is a big mountain where experience is recommended and help could be far away.

So: IMHO it's safe to do without a guide if you have the experience and skill to take care of yourself.
I climbed it with my daughter without a rope, but on the summit she was much relieved when someone offered to tie her into their rope team for the descent. YOu can find our story and many others by reading the Climber's Log for the mountain here on SummitPost:
http://www.summitpost.org/pico-de-oriza ... log/150192

And by the way, we loved everything about our trip. Here's my trip report:
http://www.splattski.com/2008/mexico/index.html

Deb

by Deb » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:32 pm

IMO, the "crux" is the drive from Tlachichuca to the hut. You will need a rugged 4WD vehicle, especially if it has recently rained. I did Orizaba on Nov 25th with a guide (because I'm too lazy to deal with logistics); hut to hut in 9 hrs. Straightforward climb as long as you can see straight up. :)

gotschall@fordham.edu

by gotschall@fordham.edu » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:39 am

Greetings!

Thank you very much for your responses. All of the information has been useful.
I may post more questions as they arise.

Cheers,
Ryan

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean