Ideas for 1-2 weeks in N India in March?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
pjc30943

Ideas for 1-2 weeks in N India in March?

by pjc30943 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:29 am

I'll be visiting new delhi for a few weeks in March 2014, for work related matters. If it works out, it would fun to tack on a short additional time for some climbing up north (or anywhere accessible and safe, i.e. not pakistan). My timetable is relatively short--i think i would have 1-2 weeks at most.

I'm not familiar with what is possible in that area, and that time of year essentially during winter. Any climbing destination ideas? I realize this is a very broad question, so thank you in advance if anyone who has thoughts.

It could be one objective, or several short objectives. For this trip I'd be comfortable with moderate alpine, moderate rock, glaciers, or easy ice. I'd prefer low objective risk hazards:) Since this trip would be coming from a work trip, and i'll not have climbing partners with me, I'd probably be looking to hire a local or a guide. Groups are fine as well if it is a skilled group.

Feel free to just link to other threads if anything similar has been asked...

Damien Gildea

Re: Ideas for 1-2 weeks in N India in March?

by Damien Gildea » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:33 am

That's very much winter and there is no climbing done in the Indian Himalaya in winter.

Try skiing at Gulmarg or, if you have two weeks, fly to Kathmandu and do the Langtang trek.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 am

Kathmandu is as close to New Delhi than is Northern India anyway. Even for mere mortals, winter is very reasonable for the "lower" elevations (less than 5500-6000 meters) in Nepal. 1-2 weeks isn't enough to do a high elevation peak anyway. You could do the Langtang Trek or part of the Everest Trek (though you run a risk of being stuck if you are on a tight schedule). The Poon Hill area has many short treks (a week or less) that are reasonable for March too. If you do go to Nepal, whatever you choose, 1-2 weeks really will be rushed trip in Nepal.

Also, don't discount the forest reserves and national parks in India. For example, Bandhavgarh has beautiful trekking and much wildlife. We even got to see a wild tiger when we were there; a thrilling experience.

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks guys. Trekking is an option as well, as are parks especially with wildlife, so thanks for those ideas.
Any thoughts on decent low elevation rock around the area? I'm happy to go anywhere else besides the himalaya as well. Perhaps there's a low elevation region with some fun climbing, some more local peak ranges that don't require a week's trek.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Go east to trek in Darjeerling. 3-5 days and you get views of Kanchenjunga and Everest. Or go down south to Hampi and boulder there.

Return to Asia