Mountaineering/Rappelling Rope?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Augie Medina

Re: Mountaineering/Rappelling Rope?

by Augie Medina » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:12 pm

jgfore wrote: I have a small section of 8 or 9 mm dynamic (about 30'-50'), and hung it from the ceiling in my basement. I connected to it as thought I was going on a Big Wall Rap (had everything on me). I used both the BD ATC and the DB ATC Guide, I almost could not stop myself!! I tied a super munter hitch to my carabineer and that was better. If I go with a 8-9mm rope, would a rescue rack or a piranha work better for a nice rappel?

You could not go wrong with a piranha; its beauty is that you can add any amount of friction you need "on the fly." BTW, how do you build your anchors?

norco17

by norco17 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:22 pm

In your basement are you rapping on a single strand of rope or two?

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:43 pm

jgfore,

I mean no offense (in fact I post this for your own safety), but judging from your posts, it sounds like you may be an accident waiting to happen. For your own sake, I'd highly recommend that you learn to rappel properly before going out and trying it alone on big cliffs.

Also, it sounds like you are only looking at rappelling for fun and not doing any kind of climbing. Is this correct?

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
norco17

Previous

Return to Gear