Parofes in hospital and needs good vibes!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
surgent

Re: Parofes in hospital and needs good vibes!

by surgent » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Paulo, Please accept my sincerest best wishes and condolences. You fought hard and humbly, and it is no disgrace whatsoever to "lose" the battle. The body may no longer exist, but the man who was in it will live on forever. Your posts here were my only connection to you, but I feel the loss just as though you were my regular hiking partner.

You engaged what the world had to offer in a very deep way, physically, emotionally and spiritually. You're not going on this final journey alone. I have confidence you will face it with the same bravery you faced your various climbs. Rest well, old soul.

Scott

MountainHikerCO

by MountainHikerCO » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Parofes, May your remaining days be peaceful and full of love. Your strength is an inspiration. You'll always be alive in the hearts of those who know you. Ian

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Fly high .... my friend ....

"I am the dance of ages,
The drummer and the wine ...
Heartbeat in the sand,
Rings inside your hand.

I am the body power,
The rhythm of your joy ....
The spiral in the air,
The wine inside a prayer.

RIDE on the rising tide,
Walk on the water ....
Spray, with each burning day,

High, going HIGHER ...."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFKUqR-DtE[/youtube]
Last edited by lcarreau on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
John Duffield, Marcsoltan, silversummit

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 pm

Parofes,

I have 11 grandchildren and at our next family gathering I'm going to force everyone of them to put down their damn devices long enough to listen to me tell them the story of your courage.

Thank you for honoring us all here by sharing your struggle. I wish you the comfort of peace.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

The following user would like to thank adventurer for this post
silversummit

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Paulo,

You are a profile in courage and an inspiration. We are all wondering whether, when we come to stand in your shoes, we will have your fortitude. That in itself is quite a legacy to leave your friends and loved ones.

Bendiciones

cyffredinol

by cyffredinol » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:14 am

Parofes,

You have been an inspiration to us all. You're one hell of a tough fighter, and you'll never be forgotten!

The following user would like to thank cyffredinol for this post
silversummit

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Paulo,

Besides the beautiful photo of Mr&Mrs Schmidt, I'll always remember this photo of you along with the wise decision you made a few years ago.

Jacek

The following user would like to thank yatsek for this post
silversummit

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Paulo,

Thank you for sharing with this community the wonders of the mountains of Brasil. You opened up for me a whole other world of fantastic South American peaks!

Not only do I have great respect for you as a climber and love your delightful sense of humor... But I keenly respect how you always proclaim your love for your bride and shout your admiration for her beauty.

Our hard-earned climbing resumes may fade, but the impacts had on others through the love we show them ripple into eternity.

Peace to you and your family. Special strength to your wife.

~Tears fill my eyes when I hear all the cries for the reason today. -John 'Ozzy' Osbourne
Go climb a mountain

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Peace my friend. I am sorry we never got to meet. You are an amazing human being!

lisae

by lisae » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 am

I hope I have as much courage as you.

Pecloz

by Pecloz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Paulo, having read all your pages, articles and trip reports I am now filled with regret that at the very time you were fulfilling the dream of climbing Mont Blanc I was only kms away in the same massif chasing other dreams. Your writing on SP makes others feel as if they know you, and had I known you at that time I would have gone out of my way to make sure our paths had crossed. Your passion for the world that we live, search for and love, is an inspiration to everyone. Whether they move mountains, scale them or silently watch as others continue on, most people would never leave such a lasting impact as you have managed. Courage to you, your wonderful wife and family. Many many people are thinking of you and sending strength your way at this difficult time. Whatever happens I will toast a glass on Mont Blanc for you.

anita

by anita » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:41 am

reading all this saddens me greatly... I'm so sorry..
I'm not good with words. I wish you strength and courage, Paulo, to you and your loved ones.
you are a brave man, and an inspiration to us all.

The following user would like to thank anita for this post
John Duffield

SJD

by SJD » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:25 am

You have touched many lives Paulo; few have done as you have. I wish peace and serenity to you and will continue to pray for you.

Ze

by Ze » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:05 pm

Paulo,

To be honest your battle has affected more than I would have though from someone I only knew through an internet site. I think that's a testament to your vivaciousness emanating from your summit pages. Just know, meu amigo, that you will certainly not be forgotten around these parts.

Joe

The following user would like to thank Ze for this post
silversummit

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:54 pm

Dear SP friends,

The last chemo failed, and there's nothing more we could possibly do to reverse my status, my body just gave up on life. Well, shit happens hehehe

Well, the war is over and in a sense, I think I won either way.
I have just more a couple days at home, and at the 15th I'll be back in the hospital and put in induced coma to have a peace after all at my passing, and avoid the horroble death by leukemia, which basecally is intense bone pain from head to toes. Easy to see, the bone marrow is inside each bone of our body. Some people shoot their own head from the pain in the end, some people use overdose, some do the right thing, which I believe I'll do.
We all accept pretty much okay here, my sisters in Rio de Janeiro are suffering a great deal, but they'll have to learn to endure this without me on Earth anymore.
I'm not sorry, I keep my word that to have leukemia was a fantastic life experience, I could help a lot of people, I myself was a brut/ raw rock and I am pretty sure I'll die as a diamond, a big ass one.
Trust me, in the end, all your wishes became real for me, I'll be back in the mountains in no time, but in another level!

Farewell my friends! PLEASE don't be said for me, be happy, do some great barbecue, sing Kumbaya, celebrate my next level of mountaineering!
Please, trust me, I'm not afraid, I'm curious about what comes next.

Paulo Roberto - Parofes
1977 - 2014 - 36 years old (with an intense life, I feel like I lived for 72!)

PreviousNext

Return to General