Lightening

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
lcarreau

Re: Lightening

by lcarreau » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:17 am

tigerlilly wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend. :-(

Thanks, Tiger!

There's a lot of talk about death and dying on this site and in Society in general ...

Think more people should start counting their blessings instead of getting their panties bunched up over PETTY things they have no control over ..

Aaaaa ..... not that I don't like 'Tom Petty ....'

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
colinr

colinr

by colinr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:38 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnGeoJk62Rs[/youtube]

The following user would like to thank colinr for this post
lcarreau

no avatar
Daisysky

by Daisysky » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:17 am

lightning is actually dangerous, my mom used to tell me not to stand or stay under the tree when the lightning comes, so i guess maybe better not to set your tent location under the trees.When it's raining, the wind will push the tree leaves, so your tent can't against such strong wind.Even it will danger your life.And i'm sorry about what has happened to your friend.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Ive been told I've been struck or at least buzzed by lightning yesterday, but wanted to here what other people had to say. I brought my gf up the kelso ridge on Torreys peak. I could handle it fine but she struggled and we went slow. She had a couple panic attacks and she wouldn't make it back down and rescue told us to finish it. We got to the knife edge at 14,000ft. I was looking for an easy way to the knife edge and the static sound from the rocks became super loud. I scrambled up a rock to find safety and I felt burning on my shoulder blade. It was maybe an inch or so wide. I was like wtf scratched at it and went down and it went away and made her lay down and laid on too of her. Then we were in a snow thunderstorm. Not sure what that burning was. I didn't notice a mark but I have some in the area and not sure if one was it or just scratches.

colinr

by colinr » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:51 pm

xDoogiex wrote:Ive been told I've been struck or at least buzzed by lightning yesterday, but wanted to here what other people had to say. I brought my gf up the kelso ridge on Torreys peak. I could handle it fine but she struggled and we went slow. She had a couple panic attacks and she wouldn't make it back down and rescue told us to finish it. We got to the knife edge at 14,000ft. I was looking for an easy way to the knife edge and the static sound from the rocks became super loud. I scrambled up a rock to find safety and I felt burning on my shoulder blade. It was maybe an inch or so wide. I was like wtf scratched at it and went down and it went away and made her lay down and laid on too of her. Then we were in a snow thunderstorm. Not sure what that burning was. I didn't notice a mark but I have some in the area and not sure if one was it or just scratches.

It sounds like you may have been buzzed. Either way, I'd consider it a gift. Now that hike will be more memorable. Plus you have an opportunity to learn more about lightning and think about how to prevent additional calls to SAR. You also probably lost a hiking partner and maybe a relationship that you may decide you don't value. On the other hand, if she keeps hiking with you or even seeing you after that she may be a keeper.

I guess my imigination is starting to run a bit with the details provided. The story is a little unclear. Why lay down? Who called SAR? Will she panic again if things get hairy or just be more likely to avoid similar scenarios? Do you have some making up to do with her? :P

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm

SeanReedy wrote:
xDoogiex wrote:Ive been told I've been struck or at least buzzed by lightning yesterday, but wanted to here what other people had to say. I brought my gf up the kelso ridge on Torreys peak. I could handle it fine but she struggled and we went slow. She had a couple panic attacks and she wouldn't make it back down and rescue told us to finish it. We got to the knife edge at 14,000ft. I was looking for an easy way to the knife edge and the static sound from the rocks became super loud. I scrambled up a rock to find safety and I felt burning on my shoulder blade. It was maybe an inch or so wide. I was like wtf scratched at it and went down and it went away and made her lay down and laid on too of her. Then we were in a snow thunderstorm. Not sure what that burning was. I didn't notice a mark but I have some in the area and not sure if one was it or just scratches.

It sounds like you may have been buzzed. Either way, I'd consider it a gift. Now that hike will be more memorable. Plus you have an opportunity to learn more about lightning and think about how to prevent additional calls to SAR. You also probably lost a hiking partner and maybe a relationship that you may decide you don't value. On the other hand, if she keeps hiking with you or even seeing you after that she may be a keeper.

I guess my imigination is starting to run a bit with the details provided. The story is a little unclear. Why lay down? Who called SAR? Will she panic again if things get hairy or just be more likely to avoid similar scenarios? Do you have some making up to do with her? :P

We layed down to stay lower then the rocks. She had panic attacks. She is afraid of heights and I thought it was going to be a lot easier for her. I'm afraid and had no problems. Now I know not to bring her on anything like that for a long time. I hope she doesn't hate me. She means a lot to me :(. Don't worry trip report probably this week.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 am

The "science" is all over the place. The best chance of avoiding a strike is getting low and minimizing contact with ground, thereby minimizing conduction through your body. I've been 400 ft up a granite dome, in a runnel full of rushing water, covered in aluminum gear in a full blown monsoon lightning storm and didn't feel even the slightest charge. The next week I felt current charge when I was in sun watching a small storm 3 ridges away. Go figure. Your best chance of SURVIVAL is to have someone with you who knows CPR.....and get at least 50-100ft from each other. You have no control over where lightning will strike, but you can minimize the casualilties and maximize your survival chances. We really have way less control in life in general than we think we have.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
xDoogiex

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:11 am

colinr

by colinr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:22 am

I bet you'll remember that trip forever!

What besides being careful to match route to group and that Kelso Ridge can be spicy do you intend for people to take away from your story?  I see a few other points briefly mentioned, but let's say someone out there is reading your story and learning from it.  What do you want them to learn about storms and lightning? WyomingSummits summed part of that topic up well. What about SAR? What about class 3-4 terrain? Anything you wish you had with you?  Did you know your phone would work and would you use it the same way again?  I think some messages are there in your report, but could be a bit more clear.

I hope all goes well with you and your girlfriend. I also hope this hasn't soured any progress she was making in the mountains. After all, she completed the route in poor conditions. Overcoming portions of adventures that have gone somewhat awry usually has made strong bonds even stronger in my life, but at the same time, I've also tamed the kinds of activities I tend to try with others who are of a different mindset or less experienced than me.  I, too, have worked to overcome a fear of heights so I also have to be careful what situations I put myself in.  I don't want to be retrieved deceased at a young age, nor a recipient of these kind of services at any age: 

:wink:

I'm sure SAR was glad to walk you both out absent physical harm as opposed to the worse alternatives they sometimes deal with, but...

Anyway, good luck with your next scramble. Things don't always go smoothly for me, but it all usually turns out fun in one way or another.

Previous

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue