Longest lines of sight photographed.......

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
calebEOC

by calebEOC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:27 am

Rainier seen from Prairie Peak between Corvallis and Florence, right about 200 miles.

Iron Hiker

Interesting situation.....

by Iron Hiker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:32 pm

calebEOC wrote:Rainier seen from Prairie Peak between Corvallis and Florence, right about 200 miles.

Pretty neat pic. I do think, however, that this is St. Helens standing out more since it's closer by 50 miles (149 miles away from Prairie), and seems to have that "right shape." Paradoxically, this view has Rainier and St. Helens NEXT to each other, but I cannot make out anything like Rainier to St. Helens' left (cloud interference). Nevertheless, if Rainier is visible, this would be one of the longest photo shots anywhere in the lower 48 that I've seen!

calebEOC

Re: Interesting situation.....

by calebEOC » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:54 am

Iron Hiker wrote:
calebEOC wrote:Rainier seen from Prairie Peak between Corvallis and Florence, right about 200 miles.

Pretty neat pic. I do think, however, that this is St. Helens standing out more since it's closer by 50 miles (149 miles away from Prairie), and seems to have that "right shape." Paradoxically, this view has Rainier and St. Helens NEXT to each other, but I cannot make out anything like Rainier to St. Helens' left (cloud interference). Nevertheless, if Rainier is visible, this would be one of the longest photo shots anywhere in the lower 48 that I've seen!

When I first saw this I thought St Helens also, but it climbed so high into the sky I throught it more likely Rainier. It looked as high as Hood from where I was at thus my thinking it wasnt St Helens, but maybe your right.

calebEOC

by calebEOC » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 am

I took these pictures from cabbage hill, the fabled location where the picture that started this thread was taken from. Rainier was barely visible, well above the horizon but difficult to discern through the haze. Adams was much more apparent, and clearly has a different profile as Iron Hiker has stated from the get go.

johnm

Re: Re:

by johnm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 am

Mr Leghorn wrote:Anyone know what the distance between St George, UT and the San Francisco Peaks is?

Humphrey's Peak to Hansen Stadium in St. George is approximately 160.5 miles

Here is a helpful tool for quick calculations: http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

Iron Hiker

Re: Longest lines of sight photographed.......

by Iron Hiker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:40 am

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/pano ... REYS-N.gif - 169 miles to Signal Peak from Humphreys.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:24 pm

Dunno if anyone mentioned this. I haven't had time to read the entire thread but the distance to natural horizon from the summit of Everest would be 202 nautical miles approx. (374km or 232 statute miles) There is a panorama here that has (almost) a natural horizon at one spot...

http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen2/full22.html
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

surgent

by surgent » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:07 pm

Mr Leghorn wrote:I took a photo today of Navajo Mt and if you look west from it on the horizon you can just make out a low white blotch that is Mount Hillers. It is 183 miles away, according to:
http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/pano ... REYS-N.gif

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-hillers ... rey/693491
Use the original above to see Hillers. You can't actually see it in the image below.

BTW, I noticed someone way back in the thread saying Phoenix, AZ to Humphrey is 250 miles. It is not, it is maybe 135 miles from The Peaks to Sky Harbor airport.

Great shot of Navajo. I've been able to see its shadow from Humphreys on my hikes and it really does seem like it's at the end of the world.

Humphreys can be seen from the Four Peaks (near Phoenix) if conditions are good. I think the distance is about 110 miles between the two peaks. If conditions are pristine, even Lemmon can be seen from Four Peaks. On the clearest days in Phoenix from atop Camelback Mountain, I can make out Harquahala, Woolsey by Gila Bend, and Picacho/Newman Peaks, not to mention all the nearby peaks.

Day Hiker

Re: Re:

by Day Hiker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:41 am

butitsadryheat wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:Here is a simulated view, looking northeast from Bakersfield, CA on a clear day. The angle of view is 90 degress, spanning from north to east. The colors are by elevation only, not actual Earth colors.

Hey Day Hiker

Driving in this morning, I saw even further to the north than this shot. I was a bit further west, and maybe a little higher in elevation by about 20 or 30 feet, and was able to see a large snow covered peak on the edge of my line of sight. Any idea what it was? It was north of Hengst and Florence, and kind of rounded, but completely covered in snow, so it had to be higher levation. Incredibly clear today with the winds from this storm approaching

Answer: Sierras.

I made the northern cutoff for that image at latitude 36.7, which is south of Grant in seki. So it could have been anything north of there.

To figure out what it was, I would need an approximate lat/lon of the viewpoint. The unidentified peak was to the left, right, or between Hengst and Florence?

nartreb

by nartreb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Only about 70 miles, but a pretty cool sight:

Downtown Boston from Mt Monadnock

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
Castlereagh

Iron Hiker

by Iron Hiker » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:20 am

Bump......There's a website version of the PeakFinder app (which is now greatly improved, especially in its long range line of sight capabilities). The thread about this is right here:

peakfinder-new-website-with-360-panoramic-views-online-t63227.html

And perhaps some of you have more line-of-sight photos? I was on San Gorgonio Mountain on Saturday and was able to see up to 150 miles, including several desert peaks (most notably Telescope Peak, 143 miles away). Always great to be up there and see so far!

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 am

Nice site.

I noticed that the site says you can see Mt Peale from Kings Peak. That's 172.47 miles.

Kiefer

by Kiefer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:01 am

hmmm, I don't think this is what ya meant. :wink:

The following user would like to thank Kiefer for this post
lcarreau

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:23 am

Sorry ..... but I still think it's Adams, not Rainier !

Nope, I wasn't talkin' about "Amy Adams ......"

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

PreviousNext

Return to General