Norman Clyde Birthday Bash...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bearflag

Norman Clyde Birthday Bash...

by bearflag » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:01 am

....presented by Friends of the Eastern California Museum:
http://www.fecm33.org/

The following user would like to thank bearflag for this post
boyblue, Cy Kaicener, hightinerary, Jesus Malverde

boyblue

Re: Norman Clyde Birthday Bash...

by boyblue » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:00 am

We're on our way to Utah that weekend. My mind is now contemplating a detour... :)

sierraman

by sierraman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:03 am

I guess the good people of Independence have forgotten they ran Clyde out of town in 1928.

The following user would like to thank sierraman for this post
myles

boyblue

by boyblue » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:17 am

sierraman wrote:I guess the good people of Independence have forgotten they ran Clyde out of town in 1928.

Clyde claims to have shot over the car of some kids who were allegedly intent on some school vandalism on Halloween, 1928. The kids claim that the bullet hit and went through the car they were driving. He was considered a skilled marksman and could have put that bullet anywhere he wanted.

I guess that even in the '20s' it was uncool for high school principals to shoot at or toward students. Anyway, it was Clyde who turned in his own resignation- most likely to avoid the legal shit and constraints on his freedom to continue his climbing career.

It was Clyde who quit Independence (and the rest of the Owens Valley). It was Clyde who ran them out of his life.

(Norman Clyde Legendary Mountaineer of California's Sierra Nevada by Robert C. Pavlik.)

ScottHanson

by ScottHanson » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Cool! I would go if I lived in the area. Hope a few locals attend and report back to the rest of us. How old would Norman be today? Something like 110?

peninsula

by peninsula » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Norman Clyde reminds me something of Ben Hogan, a golfing legend still admired to this day. Both men were in a class of their own and full of mystic. Neither of these legends were fond of the press (to put it mildly). To use the words of Norman Clyde:
I sort of went off on a tangent from civilization and never got back
The following link is a page referencing Norman Clyde and many of his famous accomplishments, but the incident occurring on April 8, 1935 is of particular interest. Norman Clyde often misled the media about his true age. I would guess April 19 is the date chosen out of convenience, but his birthday is not on April 19. He would have been 129 years old.

http://www.stanford.edu/~galic/rettenbacher/clyde.html

The following user would like to thank peninsula for this post
hightinerary

xharv

by xharv » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:02 pm

During the festivities, Dennis Kruska will also present a video of his recent 30-minutes interview with Glen Dawson (now almost 102 years young!) Glen not only knew Clyde but made one of the most famous American climbs ever with him: the east face of Mt. Whitney in 1931.

Return to California