Skiing in Yosemite

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
egan.eagle

Skiing in Yosemite

by egan.eagle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:09 am

Hello All! I'm interested in skinning and skiing in Yosemite before the Tioga Pass (Rt 120) is opened. Eventhough the snow was light, this road does not seem to be scheduled to open until Memorial Day. If I came into the Valley from the SF side, do you think that there is any back country skiing to be found? I was hoping to ski Dana Couloir or Solstice but it seem liek they won't accessible through the park until the snow is gone. Are there any good north facing hikes closer to Curry Village Lodge? Thanks so much for any tips!

Sierra Ledge Rat

Re: Skiing in Yosemite

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm

Clouds Rest is s good ski descent in the right conditions

ROL

by ROL » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:12 pm

I don't know where you're getting your info, but given less snowpack than last year, when the TR was opened at the beginning of May, it stands to reason it will just as likely open at least that early this year: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm. You can always go over the crest to the north at a number of places and cruise down 395 to get to the Dana Plateau. I believe there are now a number of exhaustive books published on Sierra ski descents and touring. Regarding Curry Village environs, a friend and I skied down Mt. Starr King to Happy Isles along parts of the Muir Trail back in the early 70s, on wooden XC skis :shock: . I doubt if much of that is covered, northern exposure or not, this year. Better get some maps. (I wonder if anyone ever says "from the Fresno side". :lol: )

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:48 pm

I thought 120 was opened from the East to the pass for the opening of fishing season. You should be able to access Dana/Solstice that way, but you will have to take a longer route to the Eastside.

no avatar
paulzo

by paulzo » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:26 am

Given the state of the snowpack, it's a very safe bet that 120 will be open on the east to the pass for the trout opener (last saturday in April), as it often is. As for the pass opening all the way it's always a big guessing game - but If I was looking for some skiing I'd get up there from the east as soon as it opens. You can tell on the caltrans website - it will change from what it says now - which is 5 miles west of the the 395 junction - to something like 11 or 13 miles west of the junction. When you see that you know it's open to the pass on the east. If you take 50/89/395 to lee Vining it's not a lot longer than if 120 was open.

egan.eagle

by egan.eagle » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:38 pm

thanks everyone! appreciate the input and stories from the 70s on wooden skis!

Return to California