Mt Umunhum Page

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
boyblue

Mt Umunhum Page

by boyblue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 am

Anyone know why the page was deleted? I know there were probably private property issues, but I think the summit is about to be opened to the public. Just curious.

McCannster

Re: Mt Umunhum Page

by McCannster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 am

I PM'd the elves about it. Bob S told me he didn't know anything about it, and if he did delete it, he would have notified me about it. I was not contacted about the deletion of the page. I just happened to notice its absence a few days ago. Bob said he could restore the page, but comments, and votes will be lost. So everybody, please get back to the page and vote on it once its up.

I have no idea why it was deleted. Yes, access issues were there, but besides the route page that I did not write, I only described how to get to the point where the trespassing began, no further. There was absolutely no reason for it to be deleted, hell it had been on SP for almost 7 years. Hopefully Bob will be able to work his magic and have the page restored.

Very strange indeed.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:29 am

McCannster- someone else deleted your page? Holy crap...

Did anyone else have access to it?

McCannster

by McCannster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:48 am

mrchad9 wrote:McCannster- someone else deleted your page? Holy crap...

Did anyone else have access to it?

Yep. Somebody did. Still waiting on the reply from the PMing of the elves for more clarification. I was/always was the only owner of that page.

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:29 am

While looking up a mercurynews article (http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_19541475) I had read about Umunhum, I found this website about the plans there:

http://www.openspace.org/plans_projects/mt_umunhum.asp

In addition to information on the area and ways to be involved, I saw something interesting:

Since the hazardous material abatement of the former Almaden Air Force station atop Mount Umunhum in Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve, the District has seen an increased number of trespassers.

Effective July 22, 2011:
In order to protect public safety and guarantee security, we are closing some portions of Sierra Azul's Mount Umunhum area until the site is fully remediated and secure public access can be established.

Please note that the Mount Umunhum and Mount Thayer areas, where remediation work is ongoing, have been designated Hazardous Closed Areas. That means anyone who trespasses into the area will be cited for a misdemeanor.

Areas that are adjacent to Mount Umunhum and Mount Thayer have been declared Temporary Closed Areas. Trespassers will be cited for an infraction.
Last edited by colinr on Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

boyblue

by boyblue » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:52 am

I remember the page was responsibly crafted with some very serious warnings about trespassing. There was nothing about it that would have encourage me, for instance, to try and climb it. In fact, it this page had existed in the '70s, I surely doubt if I would have take the risk. Just saying...

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:58 am

Yep, I recall that, but being that it sounds like we can't see the page right now, I wasn't sure if it included the most recent information on surrounding land, the plans to open some closed areas up, and how to be involved.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:12 am

It doesn't matter what the page said about private property, one way or the other. No one has any business going out and deleting McCannster's work.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
kamil

colinr

by colinr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 am

Sure, it sucks that his page was deleted. Maybe what I mentioned has something to do with it; maybe it doesn't. Sorry to hear his page was deleted. It might be good to add any relevant info. that wasn't already on there; but maybe the page is fine as is.

Being that I haven't made any pages, I'm happy for anything halfway decent someone does. I will say that I used to try to help with some pages that needed updating by some pretty much inactive users and was ingnored. But that was a long time ago and I was not very persistant about it.

McCannster

by McCannster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:21 am

MidPen had some pretty arbitrary rules back in the day (4-6 years ago) about what was open and not open to the public. Some areas were undisputed, very obvious no-go zones. Other areas, like the brush-covered northeast slopes, northeast ridge, and southeast slopes may have been technically accessible, but MidPen never really made that fact clear anywhere.

OOG

by OOG » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 am

If anyone cares I was able to track down the page with the waybackmachine. Seems bizarre for a page to get randomly deleted like that. The page made the property issue extremely clear. If there was a serious issue with property rights that needed correcting, I would think (or at least hope) that the staff would contact the owner about the issue rather than just delete the page.

The following user would like to thank OOG for this post
Bob Sihler

McCannster

by McCannster » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:33 pm

QITNL

by QITNL » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:30 pm

The following user would like to thank QITNL for this post
alpinelynx, boyblue, McCannster

Return to California