Mount Everest-Need Advice

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
dadndave
Forum Moderator

Re: Mount Everest-Need Advice

by dadndave » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am

You don't suppose Mel was reincarnated as Steve 1215 do ya?

I dunno, the slacks seem to be a match.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 am

dadndave wrote:You don't suppose Mel was reincarnated as Steve 1215 do ya?

I dunno, the slacks seem to be a match.

He does mention how much money he has quite a bit too. Steve, you need to post a picture of yourself in a pink polo and white linen slacks. Inquiring minds want to know...

CarloMarx

by CarloMarx » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:05 pm

hey an all-time classic. awesome!

phydeux

by phydeux » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm waiting for Mel's trip report(s). He's not signed the climber's log fon either mountain's page. Whether he did, or did not, make it up Mammoth Mtn or Mt. Everest, I want to know all the details (doesn't everyone?).

C'mon Mel, give us the real 'first person' account of your epic adventures in California's Eastern Sierra Nevada Mtns and Nepal's Himilayas! :wink:

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:02 am

A long time ago a friend of mine gave me a newspaper comic (not the Far Side, but one kind of like it) and the caption said "the little known side of Everest" and the picture was of a mountain with a set of stairs to the summit. Anyhow, I dug thru the file cabinet but could not locate it, it would have been the perfect pic to add to this thread. Oh well.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm reminded of George Carlin's line:

"If people climb Mt. Everest because it's hard to do, why do they go up on the easy side?"
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

The following user would like to thank Arthur Digbee for this post
96avs01, Buz Groshong

ChrisJahn

by ChrisJahn » Sun May 04, 2014 1:38 am

Mel, did you make it? It seemed you actually had a good chance given the money you were willing to throw at it.

"Personally, the only motivation I need to reach the summit is my iPod and a lengthy Eagles playlist (Joking)."

Well guess what, that's all I ever needed (and a pink shirt) and the world has been my oyster. A soft, wet, stinky one!

Cheers

ChrisJahn

by ChrisJahn » Sun May 04, 2014 5:00 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:relax...Mel made it back to WeHo without his fingers or toes turning black

-

Must have used his wife's body for a Tauntaun sleeping bag. WeHo... :lol:

macintosh

by macintosh » Sun May 04, 2014 5:10 pm

ChrisJahn wrote:
jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:relax...Mel made it back to WeHo without his fingers or toes turning black-

Must have used his wife's body for a Tauntaun sleeping bag. WeHo... :lol:

It's so funny to see that seven years later, there are guys who continue to comment on the ravings of a frustrated investor. :mrgreen:

ChrisJahn

by ChrisJahn » Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 pm

I reckon he was much like the average, aspiring Everest climber, who was bullied and turned away from the mountains by a group of cynical noble elitists. A tragic comedy really and I feel sorry for the next guy who candidly asks for advice from the lords of summitpost. Behind the cheesy facade was a human being trying to escape the harsh realities of modern times so to speak and was swiftly labeled a troll and publicly humiliated. This thread is upheld like a trophy in memory of lynching a man who asked a few innocent questions and was judged based on his casual approach and wry sense of humor. Shame on you all, may it weigh on your conscience, if you have one.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Sun May 04, 2014 10:00 pm

reckon he was much like the average, aspiring Everest climber, who was bullied and turned away from the mountains by a group of cynical noble elitists. A tragic comedy really and I feel sorry for the next guy who candidly asks for advice from the lords of summitpost. Behind the cheesy facade was a human being trying to escape the harsh realities of modern times so to speak and was swiftly labeled a troll and publicly humiliated. This thread is upheld like a trophy in memory of lynching a man who asked a few innocent questions and was judged based on his casual approach and wry sense of humor. Shame on you all, may it weigh on your conscience, if you have one.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. If so, well played.

If not, I assume you (and others) don't know the story behind Mel Torino and who he was? :wink:

ChrisJahn

by ChrisJahn » Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 am

Bloody typical, banish a man and then rewrite history (his-story). I think you may have a martyr on your hands now!

If I was attempting sarcasm or irony I would have asked something like, why do dogs sleep under cars? That is absurd and further illustrates my grasp, or lack of, the delicate subtleties of mockery. Who Mel was/wasn't is a existential question we should all undertake at some point but to bring things back into focus I was fundamentally spotlighting the manner in which this thread evolved or rather devolved into some kind of campaign directed against a man in a pink shirt. Perhaps that was too much of a fashion statement for some people but would have hardly turned heads in Chamonix.

In the future we should practice more restraint before jumping to conclusions and unjustly labeling someone a troll. Reading the thread it can be noticed how several people actually believed in the sincerity of the post but were persuaded otherwise or may I say dissuaded from contributing further. Perhaps Mel was a fictional character, who knows, but what an interesting little experiment this turned out to be in the cyber laboratory of human behavior.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon May 05, 2014 1:09 am

Perhaps Mel was a fictional character

Yes, that's correct. Mel isn't a real person. It was a publicity stunt by a gear manufacturer and meant to be funny. If you go back and read through the thread, you can see who (eventually) got it and who didn't (it took most of us a little while to figure out; Biglost gave it away, but his post doesn't exist anymore). Most of the post in this thread were actually posted in jest. Some were even in on it.

If you read the thread with all this in mind, it might give you a different perspective and maybe even give you a few laughs. :wink: I wasn't sure if you knew the story or not, thus my comment.

Anyway, here is another similar stunt, same time period:

http://www.mary-woodbridge.co.uk/

After clicking on "English", check out the slogan on the right:

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Mon May 05, 2014 2:28 am

Chris 1, Scott 0. :wink:

ChrisJahn wrote:Bloody typical, banish a man and then rewrite history (his-story). I think you may have a martyr on your hands now!

If I was attempting sarcasm or irony I would have asked something like, why do dogs sleep under cars? That is absurd and further illustrates my grasp, or lack of, the delicate subtleties of mockery. Who Mel was/wasn't is a existential question we should all undertake at some point but to bring things back into focus I was fundamentally spotlighting the manner in which this thread evolved or rather devolved into some kind of campaign directed against a man in a pink shirt. Perhaps that was too much of a fashion statement for some people but would have hardly turned heads in Chamonix.

In the future we should practice more restraint before jumping to conclusions and unjustly labeling someone a troll. Reading the thread it can be noticed how several people actually believed in the sincerity of the post but were persuaded otherwise or may I say dissuaded from contributing further. Perhaps Mel was a fictional character, who knows, but what an interesting little experiment this turned out to be in the cyber laboratory of human behavior.

By the way, Chris, we do have a thread for drunk summitposting somewhere in Sound and Fury. :)

This thread still gets my vote for the best ever here. A masterful troll it was.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

ChrisJahn

Re:

by ChrisJahn » Mon May 05, 2014 3:55 am

Mel_Torino wrote:
Biglost wrote:Oh Mel.....You, my man, are Busted! Deb, you nailed it!

So....who is Mel really?

It seems you have caught me out baby. *Sighs*

Truthfully I will say that relationships have never been my strong suit, and I feel at times a bit jilted, even after 30+ years of impressive sexual conquest and two marriages under my belt. I know my behavior is not unique. Who hasn't loved the life? The life of the Atlantean playboy who roves the cool Santa Monica nights, seeking and never finding, burning like the engine of a 39' Chris Craft Stinger, fueling his Kuwaiti-oil-field-esque lust with an illusory panacea of Martinis and early 90s house music. Who can claim without reserve to be the Real McCoy?

Please don't judge me. The heart is a crevasse, but there's no bottom, none, in my voluptuousness: your wives, your daughters, your matrons and your maids, could not fill up the cistern of my lust.

The photo I posted on my Mel Torino personal webpage profile is not my wife. She lives in Pasadena with a gentleman I will not name. I have been single since 1996.

If I'm rambling through this meadow with the ghost of a smile it's because Mel did exist as the alter ego of a man facing mortality, who's metaphysical bid adieu was a revealing heart full of holes.

Truthfully I will say that relationships have never been my strong suit...

Who can claim without reserve to be the Real McCoy?

Please don't judge me.

The photo I posted on my Mel Torino personal webpage profile is not my wife. She lives in Pasadena with a gentleman I will not name.

I have been single since 1996.

Doesn't smack me as a clever publicity stunt. More like a cry for help in the dark of night.

PreviousNext

Return to General