New member introduction

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
macintosh

Re: New member introduction

by macintosh » Tue May 06, 2014 3:29 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:Image
^^^^ New SP role model ???-

Morons and their idiots jokes are back, pay attention to them, Karen. jesu, joy of man's desiring is one of them ;)

ChrisJahn

by ChrisJahn » Tue May 06, 2014 4:45 pm

In 2002, a BBC poll placed Crowley seventy-third in a list of the 100 Greatest Britons.

If you cut off a man's head, he dies. Why? Because it kills him. That is really the whole answer. Aleister Crowley

The following user would like to thank ChrisJahn for this post
lcarreau

Chris Simpson

by Chris Simpson » Tue May 06, 2014 11:07 pm

I discovered mountains almost 2 yrs ago. My gf at the time had made me horribly depressed and very unhealthy. I found Everest Beyond the Limit on Netflix. I became obsessed. I started hiking the next day. A few months later I ran into Tim Medvetz on Baldy. He's one of the main personalities on the show. Since then, I've been volunteering for him and his Heroes Project Organization. I've climbed Orizaba, Hood, Shasta, Whitney x 3, Dana, Baldy x 80, countless other peaks and am on my way to Ama Dablam in 2015. Its a lot more doable than you think. Start hiking steep trails. Find friends with the same interest and carpool to your destination. Learn everything you can on your own. I knew jack shit. Now I race Tim down the mountain side while he rides his quad on the fire road. Its all within reach. You just have to want it bad enough.

As for K2 - The Savage Mountain
On February 4th, 1943, Wanda Rutkiewicz, a Polish mountaineer and the first woman to successfully summit and descend K2, was born. Known to climbers as the "Savage Mountain" due to the technical nature of its sheer faces and the deaths that it has delivered to its suitors, K2 is the second highest mountain on earth. For every four people that have reached its summit, one has died trying. Not only was Rutkiewicz the first woman to summit and descend the treacherous mountain, she did so without the use of supplemental oxygen, a monumental feat.

The following user would like to thank Chris Simpson for this post
xkarenmariex

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed May 07, 2014 2:29 pm

ChrisJahn wrote:In 2002, a BBC poll placed Crowley seventy-third in a list of the 100 Greatest Britons.

Hey Mister Crowley ....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu0ockJXOHw[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

no avatar
markisonfire

by markisonfire » Thu May 08, 2014 8:26 am

xkarenmariex wrote:I have spent my entire adult life abusing hard drugs and living with abusive men. For the last year I have been getting my act together. I didn't think about mountains until I got clean. I grew up in the city and could have cared less about anything outside my block. When I was introduced to mountains via movies and the internet I became obsessed. When times get really hard and I think I might use, I remember there is a mountain in the Himalayas called K2. I practice picturing it perfectly in my mind. I try to comprehend its size; I try to understand how remote it is. I remember mountains exist and therefore I am going to be okay.

Over the last few weeks I started obsessing about actually climbing mountains. I have no idea where to start and understand I will probably never attempt any of the big ones. I am on this forum to make new friends and to learn more about mountaineering. The closest mountains to me are the Appalachians. I am going to start by hiking around them. Most outdoor people in this area enjoy caves, but I have spent enough time underground in the dark.

Anyway, advice and support are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Why not? No better time than right now to set some long-term and short-term goals for yourself.

Previous

Return to General